New here, with a couple of questions.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 66 years, male and live in the UK. Still working as a production engineer doing a 44/48 hour week. I was diagnosed with COPD 3 months ago. FEV1 37%

Medication: Spiriva, Fostair, Ventolin, Carbocisteine and Quinine Sulphate.

I gave up smoking 20 weeks ago. I went cold turkey after being frightened to death from what felt like being "waterboarded" repeatedly every night and ended up being afraid to go to sleep. My daughter finally dragged me to A&E after discovering me fighting for breath where I was told I had COPD. Appointment with Cardiovascular Surgeon in a few days time before taking up Pulmonary Rehabilitation. I believe that I am coping mentally, just as crazy as I've always been, and continuing to work for a living has helped in keeping up a "normal" life (what is normal anyway?) and intend to keep it that way.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for the mucus problem and coughing to disapear? Other than getting SOB you would not know I was ill, I'm not complaining though, just curious question

Being an Amateur Meteorologist I have been trying to collerate what makes for a bad day or a good day. I have noticed a strong relationship for a good day to occur alongside a day with "High Air Density" (greater than 0.074), I need to do a lot more research to confirm this as a fact. Is there anyone from the Met Office here to help with this? To be able to forecast a good/bad day would be a real boon to enable planning our lives better.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds from your description as if you have not previously suffered SOB very obviously, which on the whole is a good thing. You probably had what COPD sufferers call an 'exacerbation' or commonly a 'flare-up'. See here https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/copd/treatment/flare-ups

You will note on reading that British Lung Foundation text that the weather is a known factor, although more normally it is a chest infection.

You are also fortunate to have been offered a place on a Pulmonary Rehabilitation course. You will learn there a very great deal to your benefit - most importantly, that provided you stop smoking, exercise regularly, eat sensibly, re;ligiously observe your prescribed medication and avoid contact with crowds and other sources of infection, you may remain in good condition for many years yet.

Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Hello and welcome 2greys. I have sent an encouraging response to you, which includes a link to a British Lung Foundation source which actually mentions a connection between COPD and the weather. But adding a link always causes a moderator to consider and release the post - which may take a few hours.
  • Posted

Hi 2greys and welcome

I've been diagnosed over 12 years.  I am not a meterologist but my lungs pretty much are smile wink

Weather conditions, air quality, pollutions levels, air borne pollutants, smoke, dust, pollen, temperatures extreme hot or cold, humidity, high winds my lungs react to all.

Strange you;ve not yet come across air quality and health on the meteorological site.  I check with met office site most days myself.

Congratulations on stopping smoking, the very best thing you can do for your lungs and health generally and great you have a PR course lined up.

With lung infections I can get a mucus problem and coughing, but when no lung infection I do not have mucus or cough,  My lung condition is emphysema.  I believe that the mucus and coughing occurs more with the chronic bronchitis of COPD or with another lung condition like bronchiectasis which actually doesn't come under COPD,

Good luck with the cadiovascular appointment,.

Look after yourself and your lungs, the PR course can help you achieve the best possible for the future when you apply what you will learn.

Best wishes V

• Posted

I went through all the stages of grief when I was first diagnosed. Nobody wants to learn about a disease, expecially one that interferes with breathing. That said, and many others will attest to it, there are plenty of years of sweet sweet life ahead of you.
  • Posted

Thank you for all the replies. I did read about weather and COPD on the BLF site, one of the reasons that piqued my interest.

I also know, all too well, about polluted air as I live in one of the most polluted of cities, Southampton.

The Met Office do carry a lot of weather info, but nothing about "Air Density" which is the focus of my attention as basic weather stats, ie pressure, humidity and temperature do have a bearing they are not the main drivers of what make a good or bad day. For example yesterday (density 0.0758) was an excellent day for me with very little breathing problems, today (density 0.0762) was almost as good but tempered by the air coming from a more Easterly quarter, thus more polluted. The density figures I am quoting are from my own weather station. Many more observational statistics are required to discount coincidences, but hopefully I am on to something with "Air Density". If I can prove this, then maybe the Met Office might take an interest. I personally class a good day as a day when I do not need to use any Ventolin, especially whilst active at work.

Nailing my colours to the mast, I think that this high air density will likely last out the week at least.

• Posted

High pressure, low pollens, low humidity, and high air quality help immensely. I do much better on a high-pressure day. Cold, dry, winter air on a blue bird day works well for me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.