new hip

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I had a left hip replacement yesterday did not feel anything during surgery had epidural and deep sedation leg has felt dead all night hardly slept in pain had load of pain killers just wish I can get out of bed will do today with physio

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

dear Debbie, 

Congratulations !!!  You did it - done and dusted, so to speak -

When you are  in pain, you might want to ask for more or stronger ones - it is important to have no pain in order to heal ...

What approach was used? 

Big day ahead of you .. Physical therapist will come, you get out of bed and make the first steps ... be gentle, kind and patient with your self, okay ? and come back here anytime ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

Just c?hecked in to the site (don't seem to get much time these days) and saw your name on this post

How are you doing these days?

Kind regards

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda, 

Still here as it is a part of my daily routine now ... cheesygrin - no job to go to, still living in rural Holland and contemplating to move Westwards (closer to Amsterdam) again -

Hips are good but had other health challenges -

Sounds like you are doing really good, darling ..

big warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Happy you had the op, but sad you have been in pain.... perhaps you need to find a comfortable position for sleeping .... physio will help as once up and about you realise you have movement to adjust you position.   

Good luck and come back with your updates x

• Posted

Hi Debbie , first of all Congratulations on joining us new hippys ,I had Spinal too Adan's yes it was painful when it wore off but by taking strong pain killers before they wears off you build up a barrier to pain and helps with your first walk,physio etc.

I had my op a week ago and every day gets easier but good advice is to listen to your body and don't overdo it , I'm doing foot excercises as I write this ha ,couldn't believe day 2 they let me have a shower and by Thursday said I could go home

This forum is wonderful so many lovely people offering support ,stay positive and keep posting Hun and Lots of healing hugs

Best Wishes Angie 💐

• Posted

Hi Angie, 

just want to let you know how great it is to read your posts - from being so anxious and afraid pre-op to a full fledged great encourager barely post-op ---

you go girl !!!

big warm hug

renee

P.S. bare in mind that it is a roller coaster ride - physically, emotionally and spritually -

• Posted

Welcome debbie to being a hippie l am afraid today will not be very comfortable for you the first couple of days are the worst although l went for general anasthetic for both hip replacements and the PT will probably have you up today with the walker but it is really hard as your leg does feel like its made of cement its a total dead weight. I hate the 1st night of having to use bedpans and you seem to need the toilet a lot more than normal ha ha you are just wanting to be able to get up walk to toilet. Good luck today that you done the worst of it. I am just recovering from my 1st knee replacement just now and l would rather have hip replacements any day than knee as its so much worse its more painful and then pain lasts for weeks.

Wish you a speedy recovery Debbie.

Laura x

• Posted

Hi Laura, 

How are you doing, sweetheart - Maybe, when you feel like it you can psot an update ..

Thinking of you and continue to keep you in my healing circle

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank u it did not help today when they misplaced my med sheet and did not get any pain killers for 6 hours
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

I had an epidural as well. Stay positive hun first few wks are always the worse but it will get better. First day out of bed with physio will be hard but they are always on hand to help you. Things will get better as the weeks go by hun. This is a great site with beautiful ppl that you can talk about anything. No one judges you even if you complain about pain because we are all going thru it.

Stay positive and keep smiling

• Posted

Oh how I remember the feeling of that DEAD WEIGHT LEG. But now at four months post surgery, it's the opposite end of the spectrum. Be patient the next couple of weeks. Those are the hardest and then you'll see it's not that bad and you'll be writing others to say it was the best thing you ever did.

Good luck with your recovery. We're all here for you when you need us.

• Posted

Unfortunately, for many, sleeping is a challenge during the first month of recovery.  It's likely physio will have you on your feet today.  If you had a posterior approach (cut / scar on the side of your bum), it might feel like learning to walk all over so just take it easy and just try to do the basic (lift your foot, glide it forward, etc).  If you have anterior approach (cut / scar on the side of your hip), it might be relatively easy to walk as the muscles and nerves in the area were not as affected.

Best of luck with your recovery. Mike

• Posted

Hi debbie.  Any better today?
    • Posted

Yes I feel a lot better today on 2 sticks if do stairs will be going home leg swollen but t be expected glad the pain has gone now the hip has gone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.