New hippie about to start out

Posted , 10 users are following.

renee01952  suggested I start a new thread to tell people about me, although I'm not sure anyone will be all that interested. I know I'm not!

?So, about three/four years ago the occasional ache in the hip became more than a niggle so I thought I would probably have to do something about it. Long story short, leaving behind a useless GP (who I hadn't noticed was useless on the grounds that I never went to the GP before!), various bits of me started breaking down so that I started 2017 with severe OA in both hips (touch wood, the right one not so far given any problems), a touch of OA in the right ankle (not sure about the left - I have given up MRI's and X-rays on bits that don't hurt because I just don't want to know!), and spinal stenosis from OA in the spine. And gout (a few very bad flares but relatively far apart- three in four years). So 2016 hadn't been a great year and I had discussed the fact that I'd need to start thinking about the THR of the left hip - it was getting worse and worse, and treatments that worked fewer and fewer.

?Remind me never to say, "thank goodness that year is over, the next one can't be so bad"!  

?In May I had a bad attack of gout that just didn't seem to clear up. After four weeks of walking around in pain (did I mention, stubborn person? Won't give in?) I decided to go to the GP. Yep, straight to hospital, came back with a cast, crutches, unable to drive for weeks - and everyone asking how on earth I walked around for four weeks on a broken ankle! So... major panic stations for the doctors as (a) you shouldn't walk around on a broken ankle for four weeks and (b) I actually really didn't do anything at all to break it - no falls, no bangs, no traumas (which would be why I hadn't realised it was broken!). Even more perplexed doctors when a bone density scan shows that my bone density is even better than it should be at my age (a very youthful 59 tomorrow). So, never mind, it will be better before I spend my birthday exploring Mayan ruins in September....

?I'm not even out of the cast, four weeks later I stand up (that's all I did!) and it's like a hot knife has been thrust through my left hip. Ambulance, sirens, gas (that gas is great biggrin?), and an emergency admittance to hospital for an unknown cause.

There then followed three days of hell. No, not the hip. Three days of hell with what may be the worst NHS ward in the country. Where I was routinely deprived of the pain meds that I was admitted with (in other words - the ones that didn't do too well BEFORE my hip got suddenlt worse), and where the nursing staff routinely patronise, lie to, and bully the patients. This sounds like bad news, doesn't it? It was. For the staff. Did I mention stubborn? To mention nothing of the fact that my working background uniquely qualifies me to cause maximum chaos with minimum effort in such places! Although I now have notes on my medical records saying that I am never to be admitted to or treated at that hospital again - I'll go anywhere in the UK expect there!

?After three days I was moved to another ward when they figured out the problem - osteonecrosis. It wasn't there in February. Now it is very bad. So bad that the consultant would have operated immeditaely had it not been for the fact that my opposing ankle is broken and I need it for weight bearing....Okaaay....

?Two weeks later, get out of cast, not walking good but what can you expect? Except for, something doesn't seem right. Right ankle wise. And that would explain the break - the tendon in the ankle is damaged (and I probably never had gout - it was probably ths tendon starting to go), and may need surgery but... And yes, you have got there. They can't do surgery on the ankle because I need surgery urgently on the hip!

?So here I am. I am not in Mexico exploring the ruins at Uxmal for my birthday, about which I am most p****d off! My THR is 8th November, which is the date the consultant came up with as a balance between doing it before it is too damaged, and the ankle having enough strength not to break again. I am fed up to the back teeth of crutches, which are the only thing that get me around, and not that well either now - a couple of hundred feet, and that is at a good time of day, is all I can manage.

?And I thought I was well-prepared and looking forward to it until I started reading the posts here, but having read so many tales of woe, I'm beginning to get worried! Oh, and that whole being awake when it is done thing too - that wouldn't have been my first option. Or my second... or my one thousand, three hundred and twenty-ninth....

6 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have thoughts like that wondering if i should get it done after all the tails you read on here and then i walk around a bit much or just bend down or something and the pain thats there all the time that your mind has learnt to deal with becomes excruciating and you cant put any weight on it and i just think to my self least if i have it done the pain will ease of eventually after the surgery. Least then i might be able to take part in playing and helping out properly of my two young kids upbringings. My operation is on the 18th of October and i am not looking forward to being awake during it so i am going to ask for deep sedation least that way you are asleep through the operation but your not as groggy as general anaesthetic. I hope it all goes well for you and you can be back on your feet to go travelling before you know it! I was meant to be going away for my 30th as well but i will wait till i am on my feet properly and can enjoy it more. Good luck for the operation
    • Posted

So you'll be in before me. Good luck with that. At least I have some age on my side so I expect bits of me to be not quite as functional as they were. It must be so much worse to be in this position at your young age. I think I'll go without the sedation - I've survived a couple of war zones, so a surgical theatre shouldn't be so bad! I hope! I'll just crank up the volume on my Irish rebel songs!!!

• Posted

Age seems to be nothing when it concerns Avascular necrosis. It took a long time and messing about geting a diognosis its not a pain i would wish on my worst enemy! I dread to think of the pain your going through with the problems with you ankle havent had to use crutches yet but i do have to sliped disks in my back as well. Let us know how you get on have you been in for your pre op yet?
    • Posted

I have had one but also have another one. There was a problem when I went in on the ermergency because my CRP levels suggested an infection, although they can't find one! But they are monitoring it carefully, because if they come up again, there is a risk that there is infection in the hip from the damage. In which case they will have to do a two stage procedure some weeks apart - which I hope not, as it will mean preparing the hip for replacement but not actually doing it. They would then pack the hip with antibiotics and close it, leaving me with no joint for a few weeks and then have to do the replacement parts. This I do not want!

But yes, the pain of the necrosis is dreadful. In a way I just think well, how bad can it be after surgery, because I can't believe it will be worse than that.

• Posted

Hi Dominic I had my lthr just 11weeks ago all

that pain gone didn't think that would happen

but its true it's gone ,I had a gen anaesthetic

and a leg block so no pain after ,no after effect

from G/A and only had paracetamol and codien

if needed for pain.Of course uncomfy round

scar area but nothing to what we have put up

with for years best thing I could have done

Wishing you all the best hugs xxx😢😆

• Posted

Hi Beth, 

there you are !!! I am not sure whether to  cry or to laugh (the way you write is brilliant ...

good lord, what hell you must have been in .. Unbelievable, what neglect -

do you trust your ortho surgeon and like him? that is important - what hospital will you have the surgery?

I live in Holland  so can't be of much help here - 

I am happy that you posted your story,no better place to share - 

Well yeah, tales of woe mostly - that is why we find this forum, I think ... but also great outcomes and victories - 

I had 2 THR surgeries (6 months apart) and chose General Anaesthesia - My personal choice as I absolutely did not want to take a chance to hear, smell or feel anything - 

Happy birthday darling - Uxmal will be there for you !!!  

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Actually it's the sun I'm missing more than Uxmal. Been there before, and was really returning to Mexico as it is on my best friends bucket list (I am just running down my second and thinking about what needs to go on the third). Luckily she found another friend to buy the holiday off me, and it was all organised for her already, so nothing to plan as I'd done it all.

?I'm consoling myself by shortlisting for the 60th next year. Currently thinking tour of Central America, or Iran, or Bhutan. Possibly one of the parts of India I haven't yet seen. Or Mongolia.... the list just keeps growing! I may have to do two of them biggrin

Yes, my surgeon is great - once I had trained him! We are now on first name terms after I pointed out that I am not a "Mrs" or a "Miss" and he doesn't have permission to use my first name while I don't use his because I last did that relationship when at school! After he tried out the fact that I have more titles than him, he settled on Beth cheesygrin And he is James.

?No, not going to that hospital - I have chosen to go private with the local Ramsey hospital. I've been there before and the standards and staff are much higher than at Bradford Royal Infirmary (which is the place I'm not going to again). I didn't tell you the whole story either - it would take pages to detail the amount of neglect I saw there, and much of it not with me, because I can stand up for myself; and I ended up helping other patients in the place to do the same. I don't expect the complaint to do anything, because the NHS investigate themselves. But I won't be letting it go either. What I saw was nothing to do with cuts, lack of staff or money - it was a culture of neglect and bullying that was fostered by a nurse in charge. I am not the sort of person to roll over....

?Which is why I am determined to have a great recovery. I have my one year old Border Collie to get back to walking with, and places to see. And, I suppose, work to do to get the money to do all those things!

• Posted

Morning Beth! Yes there are some good things that happen on this forum and there are some bad. mine happens to be the bad. dislocating my hip after three weeks and having to have a hip revision I am now seven weeks out doing a lot better had to be nonweightbearing for six weeks. it was tough but I made it now it's going to be another tough road because I'm having to start using all these muscles that were dormant while I was non-weight bearing. I've had thoughts of "I shouldn't of gotten this done", but then I think back of how many years I was starting to be in pain not being able to get around, getting up out of a chair was difficult, not being able to join my family in outings and knowing that my condition was getting worse. the longer I waited the harder the surgery would be because there wouldn't be much left to work with. The surgery is tough and recovery varies person to person. We all have our own journey on this hip road. I'm really sorry what you have been through!! Prayers that all will get better for you! You deserve it!! Hugs, 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

Aghh. My nightmare. I am so sorry that you've had to have a revision. I ay founate in having an excellent physiotherapist atted to my surgery, and that is her warning to me constantly, because I do tend to "go for it" and push myself, so she's concerned I will end up dislocating the new joint too. I had decades of Judo though, amongst other things - and being a Northerner of Irish descent.... well being stubborn runs in the genes!

?But like you I have all those things I have struggled with or missed out on to spur me on.  I haven't liked being impaired one little bit. And if for nothing else, I am going to get fit again for my dog!

• Posted

Yea that's me too....stubborn! But this time around I'm being more careful! I see these dirty floors and cringe! 😖😖. My poor hubby not much of a house keeper. 😆

• Posted

Beth, I feel badly for so many with tales of woe on this forum as I have not encountered these issues with my second thr because I had the anterior approach. Isn't there any orthopedic surgeon in Europe doing this? The recovery is so superior and the possibility of dislocation is reduced. I am following post op orders and have had no problems. The first two weeks were challenging but after that I no longer needed a cane or even the elevated commode. I can sleep on operated side and go up and down stairs unaided. This can be your outcome too if you can find a Surgeon who will put the replacement in from the front rather than cutting through the gluteal muscle! However, the end result should be healing, restoration and no more pain. Both procedures will get you there, posterior just takes longer and demands more patience and perseverance. Keep us posted!

• Posted

Oh Beth - you must feel you descended into some kind of hell when this all started.

And of course, in some ways you did.

I am so sorry for all your horrible experiences and I sincerely hope that your next hospitalisation goes more smoothly.

I wish you the best of luck and keep up a good attitude. And despite recent evidence to the contrary, keep you mind open about the care you receive. Having just come from hospital (4 days post 2nd thr) I am only too aware of hard choices made every day. This has been only too true for one of my closest friends - a stroke victim. I feel horrible for her and the quality of her life.

Hang in there and save some of your energy for your recovery and rehab.

Big hugs,

Linda

• Posted

Oh I know there are some really good people in the NHS - just none of them were on the ward I came in on! The consultant I am using is actually the one from the same hospital, but he is in private practice too. This particular hospital has a bad reputation, I'm afarid, and talking to a lot of other people who have been in there, they all say the same now. But nobody complained, so what can you say? The inspection reports on the place are also pretty dire.

?You must be a tough bird to be psoting four days after the op!!! I expect to still be throwing crockery at the wall at that point.

?Yes, there are lots of people worse off than we are. No point in moping about being hard off, because we are still alive and that's a pretty good deal! For me there are lots of things that could be much worse options, so I count my blessings and then get on with life.

• Posted

Not so sure how tough this old bird is - I just snapped at my husband who had a long day too . And he is trying so hard to help ( we just process things differently).

I really vwish you well on the next stages of the journey.

L

• Posted

Linda I know what you mean...I feel for my husband tho...he has had to work, clean house, cook, laundry, take care of grandkids, dog, night school, and being a teacher having to grade papers, do lesson plans, take care of him & ME!! He realizes tho how much I did taking care of the house and all the stuff that goes with it. I am slowly doing s few things. But I snap at him at times because I don't like the way he does things!! Then I feel bad. But so blessed thru it all he says he wants to take care of me!! 💖 That I took care if everyone and everything now it's my turn. But I can't help feeling bad. Nite night! 💤😴💤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.