New knee clicking

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post op and just finished my first week back to work (part-time). The week before I returned to work I began experiencing a consistent popping in my new knee. It doesn't hurt really, it just makes me aware. It happens probably 10 out of 12 steps. At the same time my left hip (same side as my TKR knee) became a little tender from time to time. I visited my chiropractor and told him my left knee feels like it's longer. He checked it out and said yes it is a little longer. He made an adjustment and told me not to worry it might settle down. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm back to modified yoga and walking on my treadmill 20 mins a day alternately with my stationary bike. The hot tub has become my new best friend!

I just wonder when I'll honestly be able to say I'm glad I did this and be ready for my other knee!!!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tammy,

I am six months post TKR and I am still having the popping feeling with most every step. Same as you, I started having this pooping feeling since the day after the surgery. My Dr said it was the plastic rubbing against the metal and will stop with time. He said that three months ago. I hope it does stop. I applaud your daily exercising.

• Posted

Thank you Todd! It is so reassuring to hear this! Do you ever have any tenderness around the area where it pops?
    • Posted

I don't have tenderness there. I do have some sort of lump on the back side of the knee that I think is internal scar tissue. It doesn't seem to want to go away. Maybe it came because I didn't do as much physically therapy as I should have.

• Posted

I think we all worry about that, but the truth is there's a limit to what we can do in the beginning. I just thought I would be feeling much better by now. Patience is not my virtue. 😟

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

I had my tkr last april 2016, I still have pain, not as much as i had b 4   I had it done. I went to my orth last week and told him that when I stand my knee clicks and clacks and hurts alot so he wanted them to put a knee brace on so my knee will not move. the one they picked was too small so they have me going next week to learn how to tape my knee cap in place. I change it every two to three days. I do not know if it will stop all this popping when i stand up from sitting or driving streching my leg getting out of the car. i am happy i had it as it is not painful as it was b 4 the surgery.  Maybe you should go back to your orth and see what they say as if this does not work my orth told me he may have to go back in and readjust it or something like that he said. i do not want that. i have my appt for may 3rd. time will tell also it is very important to keep up with the exercises.

good luck to you. Terry  

• Posted

Thanks Terry,

I will see my ortho late February. Like you I hate any talk of going back in for an adjustment!

Tammy

• Posted

Sometimes, you can't avoid it, Terry.  Some people here have had revisions when the original surgery didn't work out as intended.  We all face that possibility.  Also, as in my case, I'll need my other knee replaced sooner or later (45 years of hockey)...just not now.  I want to be full recovered from this one, totally in shape and fully prepared before I say "yes" to #2.  If you absolutely need more surgery and cannot avoid it, at least you can better prepare mentally and physically for it.

• Posted

Just had my second knee done Dec 23 2016.

Thought it would be a piece of cake being it wasn't a severe as my left one .

(Had left one done Jan 25 2016). And it is my dominant side.

Boy was I wrong!! I was ready emotionally I thought. However everything

about this surgery is different. Just keep that in mind when you go in.

Work out is the same and pain but it might ( or might not ) take longer to recover.

Mine is taking longer to recover and pain scale never reaches zero.

I manage it it it's never zero yet ( 5 wks post op).

Blessings

• Posted

Thank You Chico, Yes at least now I would now how what to expect as I sit her having coffee with pain in my knee. I will be glad when it is gone for good. Have a great day.
  • Posted

Clicking - popping - clunking - whatever...  Welcome to the club.  May last 12-18 months or never go away.  Small price to pay for walking without pain.

Many people immediately freak out about "leg length" and rush to podiatrists who charge them a fortune for custom shoe orthotics.  Reality: Unless you doc totally screwed up, any leg length isuues are most likely to occur when your hips are out of alignment.  We compensate in our gait because of the pain and "throw our back out" resulting in one leg being 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer or shorter than the other.  Simple chiropractic fix.  Get it done and avoid sciatica (also common) at all costs. Not fun...

• Posted

Hi there. I have clicking and crunching but mine didn't start until post op 3 months. I worry and think it's loose but when I read about it it's common.

im now 6 months post op and still swell and sometimes knee is tight. No more of the really tight elastic band feeling around my knee it's a slow healing learn to b patient but it's so difficult. Having my other one done in jan 2018. Wish I didn't have to after this one :-(. Looking forward to the no more swelling days and feeling normal😛😝😜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.