New levothyroxine sodium user with questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have been taking levo for 2 weeks and thought all was good...until today. (I also take atenenol for b/p) I seemed to be all jittery and achy. I took my bp when I got home from work and it was high. I am thinking that I will start taking the levo at night as there is probably a conflict going on with the levo and then the atenenol shortly afterward. Thoughts? (& thx)

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy- I'm sure someone here can answer your question more exactly, but I've heard of interactions...  though I haven't experienced any.

I get jittery when I take iodine sometimes. Sometimes I  get jittery from B vitamins. Not connected to the meds though.

• Posted

I am researching this problem at the moment since my BP is also high. I will pass along what I have learned so far.

Sadly it seems that your BP does rise when you are on thyroid medication. I do not know if this applies to atenenol, I am not familiar with it, but BP medication, even aspirin will interfere with thyroid meds. The biology of it is that these BP medications use the same transporting molecules as the thyroid hormones need. The transporters are called Thyroxine Binding Globulin or TBG.

This is the conundrum I have at the moment, how to get BP down without messing up my thyroid medication (which as taken me 2 1 /2 years to sort our, successfully).

I have just been doing lots and lots of excercise but my progress is glacially slow.

I will post anything I find out and hope it helps you and others with the same problem.

• Posted

Hi Sandy, I take my levo at night, either just before I go to bed or during the night as I usually wake up for  a 'comfort break'. This ensures the levo doesn't mix with food, drink, supplements or other medication I might be taking. I keep a diary of symptoms to 'log' how I am feeling and when I take the medication, as changes can take a time to kick in, so it helps to be able to look back and monitor improvements/deteriorations. It sounds like you might be on too high a dose of levo. How much are you taking? If symptoms persist, might be worth contacting your doctor. Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.