New on Metformin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!

I was diagnosed PCOS around 1 year ago.

I was prescribed a month ago some Metformin and I was advised by the doctors I would have a bleed so far this has not happened for me, can someone tell me if it induced a bleed for them? My periods are extremely irregular my last one was Decemeber and before that I dont even know! I am 21 now and i have been with my boyfriend since i was 17 so we are obviously getting to a stage in our life were we want a family of our own and with pcos it seems impossible and it certainly has me questioning that after nearly 4 years of unprotected sex am i EVER going to have a family? sad 

If someone can give me some advise I would be SO grateful.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

Im afraid i dont have any answers for you although i understand where you are coming from. I am in the exact same position, although i was only diagnosed last week. I have been with my hubby for 6 years and we got married two years ago, got a mortgage and now all is missing is a baby. sad

did the doctor prescribe you the metfomin? or was you sent to a fertility clinic

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Laura!

Don't worry about it, it's nice to just get a reply sometimes smile

Well i was diagnosed a year ago and only recently decided that if it is going to be difficult to get pregnant then i dont wanna end up 27 wanting a family and the it takes me years! I went to the doctors because obviously decided to start now for a family and was prescribed metformin for 3 months to see how i get on with it as i need to loose a bit of weight also, if nothing progresses i then go to a fertility clinic. 

My sister has the same as me and she is going in for her first sot at IVF which i really don't want things to come too but on the other hand my Auntie is the same and has 2 beautiful healthy children so there is hope!! 

Sorry for the essey! 

• Posted

Hi Kristy

I am 25 and I was diagnosed with Pcos 3 years ago and have been on metformin. At first I was on metformin and birth control pills which helped regulate my period. But my husband and I thought we wanted to try and get pregnant so I stopped taking the birth control pills which made my periods irregular again. We tried for a few years to get pregnantAnd we felt like it was never going to happen so I went to the doctor the other day to talk about options. And I found out I am 8 weeks pregnant. So it is possible might not be exactly when you plan it but if you keep trying it could happen. Fingers crossed

• Posted

Awwww smile Yeah i am struggling aswell as it seems everyone around me is having children and im just stuck hoping and prayin we will get lucky.

I also need to loose weight not just for this reason but in gerneal for my self. Luckily i have managed to loose nearly two stone since January.

It doesnt run in my family it just looks like im the unlucky one sad ....  My hubby is going for his fertility check on the 15th April, and then our doctors is referring us to the fertility clinic smile  Hopefully we will get things moving!  I just want to be a mummy .....

And dont be silly, its nice to speak to someone in a similar situation! As much as i have the best support from family and my husband, sometimes its difficult for them to fully undertsnad how horrendous PCOS makes you feel! smile

• Posted

Congratualtion jennifer04452, its nice to hear about the positive outcomes! Wishing you all the luck in the world  smile
    • Posted

Hi

I understand how you feel me and my partner have been trying for over 3 years with no success. I have only been on metformin for just 2 months and the weight loss is slowly getting better.

But it seems everyone around me is wither giving birth, pregnant or had the baby. Every month my heart breaks when I am unsuccessful, although my family are really supporting it's hard for me as they have all been able to fall pregnant with any problems.

• Posted

Don't loose hope, this forum is a god send because when i'm feeling down or hopeless I can always count on other girls in the same position as I because my immediate family don't quite understand they are supportive but its hard for them to truley understand something they aren't going through. 

The metformin is best taken in a morning as it stops me from being hungry most of the day and people of noticed a difference. At first i took it on a night because i heard it made you feel terribly sick but it isn't that bad it is a small price to pay for loosing weight! I'm not sure exactly how much I have lost but i have dropped a jean size and i have noticed small differences like my god awful muffin top reducing in size!! haha.

Wishing you all the best of luck!

• Posted

That's really encouraging. The worst thing for me is I look like I have a pregnancy bump so I often get asked when I am due which is hurts. I often have to walk away because of the tears starting.
    • Posted

I wouldn't let it bother you too much! I once went into to body care to buy some hair dye and the assitant walked right up to me and said 'you aren't suppose to dye your hair when your pregnant'.. i was mortified! Needless to say I never returned and wore baggy clothes for a very long time but don't let it get you down things will all work i'm sure of it smile 

• Posted

Well i have been taking metformin since october 2014 and i did not have a cycle until december 2014 when i started bleeding really heavy uncontrollably and i then went to the doctor and they told me i was pregnant but i was going through a miscarriage in which i didn't believe i was pregnant since i had not had a cycle yet, but it was determined through blood work and urine test. So after my miscarriage i said i would try again and i did. And after my body got rid of the pregnancy naturally i then started having my cycles every month on like clock work. So i started buying opk's and started using preseed since metformin having you a bit dry due to its side effects and i got pregnant on my first time using preseed and i am now 7 weeks 1 day. So good luck
    • Posted

Firstly, so sorry to hear you suffered a miscarriage - I have suffered one a very long time ago which was not a planned pregnancy and was before i knew i had pcos (17 years old) so i was pretty young and wasn't sure what i supposed to feel about it!!

However the only medication i am taking for it at the moment is metformin, and so far noticed no difference with anything apart from a little bit of weight loss which is better than nothing i guess. 

Until not i've never heard of preseed so that is so helpful as I have found it leave me dry (blushing) but was unsure why, was starting to think i had something wrong with me. 

Thanks for commenting means a lot! And congratulations on your brilliant news, wishing you the best of luck with motherhood smile x

• Posted

Thanks and you are very welcome, i never knew what preseed was myself until i went on you tube and followed some success stories on pcos and ttc, it really helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.