New onset A- Fib

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi , hubby was feeling not quite right . He stood up n I knew something was about to happen ,got him to his chair n he passed out , called 911 off to hospital ..,also when he passed out his bladder emptied , we weren't aware for some time . Why ? Okay they gave him IV cardizem - which helped , being disabled vet they were going to send him to veterans hospital, but couldn't justify transfer since he wasn't displaying an A- Fib .,,heart rate was 140-189 b/p low 90/58... now hat home b/p138/74 heart rate moves all over 42-158 ... scares me . He did not see cardiologist in hospital ., wondering what next ??? Ty

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Azbella .Did the hospital give your husband MRI scan? My husband had similar experience,and it turned out to be a T I A a transestemic stroke . Maybe worth investigating Regards Louise .
    • Posted

No they did no tests . They stated he was back in SR , after IV drugs ? Va wanted him but hospital dr. Said he's stable now !! I bout went nuts ,., but they stood there ground n refused to transfer . We're 3 hrs from va hospital .he did see va dr at clinic n she's ordering thyroid ultrasound ... hospital didn't fax his record of stay .. she could go on what we told her , d/c papers gave little info ,..😟

• Posted

Gosh. I can hardly believe they didn't do routine blood work, cardiac enzymes, thyroid profile. If it was serious enough to give cardizem, it was serious enough to do labs, cat scan, and other labs. Was he in pain? Has he ever had afib before? How is he now? I'm concerned. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Too many unknown facts here. Why did they send him home? HR that high, passing out, should have warranted an overnight stay and more in hospital testing at the least. Should see a cardiologist adapt. What meds is he on? What is his disability? Has he been in afib or had a TIA before? How old is he?

No matter what these answers, people don't pass out for no reason and their heartrate so t jump around like that. Go to VA hospital if u aren't getting satisfaction from your local ER.

• Posted

Not to mention, hospital is stupid! Couldn't justify sending him to VA? He passed out! His heartrate is ridiculously high! wonder what they consider serious at that hospital.

There may be some underlying info here to justify their action, but I am an old ER nurse and something just isn't right about this.

Your husband deserves proper treatment, take him somewhere else.

Ps. Loss of bladder happens when u pass out sometimes. B/p drops, or if he was in afib at the time, there is a chemical that is released( I forget what) that affects the bladder.

Good luck. Please seek proper help.

R u in US?

• Posted

Get him to a cardiologist as soon as possible. That is what's next. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.