New pain 7 weeks post 4th metatarsal fracture, what does this mean?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fractured the base of my 4th metatarsal 7 weeks ago. My doctor has given me conflicting advice on multiple occasions so I would appreciate some insight into my situation. Initially she predicted 6 weeks before I could return to normal activities. For the first 2 weeks I was in an aircast boot and used crutches to maintain toe touch / Non weight bearing status. After 2 weeks the xray showed no signs of healing but my doctor okayed me to progress to weight bearing as tolerated in the aircast. Over the next 2 weeks I gradually weaned off using the crutches with the aircast /walking boot. The xray at 4 weeks showed signs of healing and she okayed me to stop wearing the boot and encouraged me to progress my walking. So I initiated progressing my weight bearing without the boot and used 2 crutches for walking. Over the next 2 weeks I progressed off the crutches for short distance walking but I wore the aircast to work because I spend most of my day on my feet. This is also when I returned to work.

It's now 7 weeks and a few days ago I developed new pain in my foot- which makes me wonder if I overdid it or re-injured it? I noticed it the day after I went to the pool and did some standing / walking / and a few jumping exercises in the pool... I had another X-ray the day I noticed these new symptoms and it does show further healing. But it's 3 days later and this new mild pain around the fracture site is still there. Yesterday my doctor suggested returning to the aircast for most of the time and to avoid activities...

I'm not sure what to do now. In hindsight it seems like I was too ambitious with a couple trial jumping exercises at the pool. But during all of the exercise I was pain free. I had even progressed to standing calf raises on land a few days before without pain. And everyday since starting to increase activities without the boot I was feeling better and better... Until after the pool.

So what does this mean? Normal healing pain? Re-injury from progressing too quickly? I'm now back to walking very short distances with a crutch. I think using 2 crutches is a good idea. But should I really need the boot other than for work???

And when can I expect for the fracture to fully heal?

And what can I do to promote healing?

Please help. I feel lost and frustrated with this. I'm usually very active and I miss running and hiking which feel very far out of reach. And I'm so tired of wearing the boot to work. It's hard on my back and hip.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Krista, I Think you are moving too fast. Feet are tough to heal. I would always have at least a tennis shoe on for a month or so and not do strenous exercises for a while. That is so difficult when used to working out. I am 67 and very active. My body has turned to mush!! I suspect the pain you are feeling is swelling which is telling you to slow down. I have had many hirse related injuries but never feet!! Tough! Good luck!
  • Posted

I am starting week 15 I was put in airboot on first day I broke 5 metatarsal 10 weeks in boot non weight barin .then 2 weeks partial weight baring than 2 weeks in shoes walking with 2 cruches now walking with one cruche and walking very short distance in room with no cruches any time foot starts to get sore or swell I elevat the leg and put ice pack on it. It was slow process but bone is healing nicely

Hope you are soon back on feet all the first 10 weeks I dad boot on night and day I also used cruches all time.

• Posted

I'm sorry but, should there have been a sign "No Jumping in the Pool if you have a Fractured Toe"! I was young once and probably would have been tempted to have fun too! Take a deep breath, the next couple of weeks are evtremely important. Go to the Dr, listen and do Everything she tells you to do. No messing around with what you want, this is the Dr's ballpark. Keep me posted, Stay Focused. You'll be on my mind.6

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.