New pain attacks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Pain is in upper abdomen, lots of belching. Not constipated. Pain is colicky and so bad last time was hospitalised for morphine treatment. 24 hours later it eased off, and felt fine within a couple of days. Has started again today have taken buscopan and now tramadol. Am on holiday in uk with disabled husband don't want to leave him alone he needs care. Don't want hospital therefore. What do I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not medically qualified, but it sounds a bit like gallbladder. When it happened had you been eating foods containing higher fats, especially as you are on holiday? Fish and chips, cooked breakfast or cream teas???thought I would ask as if not then you can at least rule it out. Hope u are feeling a bit better.😥

• Posted

The problem is I had my gallbladder out several years ago, and a recent scan shows no sign of a stone in the biliary duct.  But I had been eating more fat that usual so I guess it could have been that.  I am a lot better thanks, just hope it doesn't happen again - especially over Christmas!

• Posted

Hi again Chrissie,

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.

From your reply if gallbladder out then the bile duct can over produce bile acid so may have been that.

If this is the case its often accompanied by very acidy yellowish loose stools.

If this was the case GP can prescribe some powders to help.

If not bile acid....not a clue...but good luck and don't let it put you off UK!

• Posted

I do have an issue with bile overproduction. I used to take Questran powders but now take Colesevalem tablets and it usually stops the loose stools. It may have been related but I wish I knew why it occurred when it did. It is the suddenness of an attack like this that is frustrating when most of the time I am very well. Sometimes I have an attack and the pain is so bad I have to call 999 only to be given morphine and fluids in hospital and for it to calm down within hours without any indicators of what it was. It can be weeks, months or even years before I get another attack. Thanks for your advice anyway!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.