New (relatively) seizure patient

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question. My fiancé has had three seizures in the last year and a half. She's fallen twice and went to the ER two weeks ago for what seemed like a random seizure. Today she went to the neurologist and his diagnosis was it is a genetic disorder. She has been taking 500 mg levetiracetam twice a day based on her ER doctor's recommendation. Her neurologist prescribed her Aptiom because the levetiracetam is giving her panic attacks. The problem is it will cost her $200 a month, which neither of us can afford. She has samples that her doctor wants her to start tonight. My question is this: should she start the Aptiom, per her doctors orders, or can she continue her current medication only and wait for a different drug? Sorry for being long winded but I know nothing about this condition and would really love some advice.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Matt. My name is Dan T.

I was diagnosed with frontal lobe seizures -- it has been several years ago now. I was started on Carbamazepine three times a day. This med. stopped all symptions with the first pill. I now use both the Carbamazepine and Levetiracetam.

I was military and I have V. A. doctors. I did not know what these meds. cost.

See what Carbamazepine costs. Perhaps your neurologist  will allow her to try this med. if the price is better.

Hope you get some help. Dan

• Posted

Hello Matt, I take Carbamazepine as my primary seizure drug. I also take

levetiracetam. I live in U.S.A. and served seven years in the navy. My medications do not cost me anything.

I looked up Carbamazepine on google. It is not expensive here. Run this by your doctor. This drug works very well for me. Good luck.

Dan T.

• Posted

Matt -- Dan T. again. Sorry I gave you the same info. twice. Years of seizures left me with no memory. 

Hope things improve for you and your fiancé.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.