New Statistic

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi there

I'm new here, have been diagnosed so thought I'd do some lurking around

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

HI jilibean, welcome...not for the best of reasons...xx

I was diagnosed a year ago after a terrifying holiday experience....I could not breathe properly and was sooooo glad to make it home.....I have moderate copd...and the lung age of 90 yrs...I am 62/yrs...I have a steroid and a treatment / preventative inhalers. They help.. I still smoke I am ashamed to say...

I wish you good health young lady..take. care of yourself.. big hugs...DEIRDRE xxx

• Posted

Hi Deidre

Thanks for replying it's so nice in these situations to know your not alone. I too am 62 and I was diagnosed a year ago with a mild dose, however 3 months ago I had bronchitis and the dr gave me a lung function test which also showed lungs of a 90 yr old, However why a dr would give me a test like that when I was so sick amazes me, anyhow since I got over that it seems okay for now,I am also a smoker but I have cut down with the help of ecigs to about 13 a week in the process of giving up, seems we have so much in common doesn't it look forward talking to you again to see how your getting along. Cheers Jill

• Posted

My Goodness, we do have much in common...well done with the smoking, I have got e.lights.!! I should use them more...speak to you soon, have a fabulous day...me...a haircut and shopping then maybe a pint with my family And friends...hugs...DEIRDRE xxx
  • Posted

It seems like we get grouped by age and given very similar results. I was 63 last week, was diagnosed with moderate COPD in March this year and also have a lung age of 90. I am an ex smoker and gave up two and a half years ago using ecigs. Take care ladies xx
    • Posted

Hi Linda

Thanks for your input and replying are you still using ecigs, what are you doing about your COPD ? X

• Posted

Hi, Yes I'm still using ecigs. My daughter bought me my first one for Mother's Day 2.5 years ago. The first 2 days I was using it I smoked 3 cigs a day, for the next 3 days I smoked 2 a day and the next day I smoked one and then none from then on. I didn't deliberately reduce the number I smoked.... I just didn't even think about them. Giving up smoking has never been so easy. I mix my own liquid and so I can easily reduce the amount of nicotine.

As far as my COPD is concerned I try to keep my exercise level up and I'm starting my first pulmonary rehab next month. I eat well using as much fresh fruit and veggies as I can. I'm on salbutomol (reliever) and Tiotropium and symbicort (preventers) I have just had an oxygen assessment and I am expecting my ambulatory oxygen any day. I will only need to use it when I am exercising or doing any thing strenuous.

So that's me in a nutshell, take care and stay well xx

• Posted

Hi Linda

Hope you well, I have cut down to around 10-12 cigs a week since being told that i REALLY have COPD I'm on spiriva so I don't know if it's helping or not , I dont really have any symptoms at the moment it's only when I get sick (bronchitis) that apparantly I'm really sick so I don't know what to make of it ?

• Posted

Hi Jillibean, 10 - 12 cigs a week is really good that's less than 2 a day so well done for getting down to that. The tiotropium Bromide I'm on is Spiriva. It's a powder capsule that you take with a Handihaler once a day so that looks the same as yours. You seem to suffer badly with your bronchitis attacks as do many of the other people on here. I feel really lucky because I've never had anything like that, not even a chest infection but I've seen others suffer with them including my late mother.

Perhaps the fact that you have no symptoms at the moment means that the Spiriva is working for you. Did they give you a salbutomol or any other type of reliever that you can use if you are short of breath at any time? I don't use mine a great deal but it's good to know it's in my pocket in an emergency.

It's difficult to get your head around it all when we are newly diagnosed but it's good we have this site where there is always someone who can help us. Take care, Linda x

• Posted

hi Linda,

so do you think the fact your still using ecigs that they have any effect on your copd ? The doctors here in Australia are not very forthcoming with information so talking to others with the same issues as me is very helpful

luckily I don't have any shortness of breath (slight after climbing 3 sets of stairs ) but I think that may be normal , only when I get a chest infection which is normally in winter, I don't know if this will change for the worse in the future all I can do is wait and see.i have always had a puffer for preventing asthma which they tell me to use once every day

thanks for your input it really is helpful

cheers Jillibean

cheers Jillibean53

• Posted

Hi Jilibean, I am positive that the ecigs help. Here in the UK doctors have sometimes been unwilling to comment on whether or not ecigs were OK. Luckily my own dr is much more willing than most to voice his own opinion on them. I spoke to him about using champix again and he said he would prescribe it for me if that was what I wanted to do. In the meantime my daughter gave me the ecig and I asked the dr what he thought of them. He said in his opinion they were far better than smoking regular cigarettes so I started using it. I've found at the hospital the COPD nurses all think they are a good thing and my pulmonoligist also says they are far better than smoking. It has just been announced over here that ecigs are 95% better than smoking and there is talk of licencing them for drs to prescribe.

As you say, I think most people would be at least slightly breathless after climbing 3 flights of stairs. I'm not a dr but I think you are in a pretty strong position and if you continue to look after yourself then you could certainly slow down any progression. 

Take care, Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda

thanks for your update, it's great news that the authorities there are considering allowing Drs to prescribe them, Australia is very backward in that, I have to buy my Nic juice in the UK as Australia do not allow it to be sold here, I'm not sure if they are good for you but what I do know is that apart from the nicotine I'm not inhaling any other poisons and that has to be a positive thought for all of us in thus situation, happy Sunday talk soon x

• Posted

Hi jillibean.. how are you today, well I hope...I am smoking an e light as we post...I have smoked cigarettes also, in totally I have spent about £150. Pound on e lights so far....I am hoping against hope that they will work...

The problem is, I enjoy cigarettes. Especially after a meal or when having a drink...which was !!! I have to say another addictive problem for me...I am not very strong. Willed I am afraid....oh well.

Hopefully we will all get there....Sleep tight one and all...sweet dreams...DEIRDRE xxx

• Posted

Hi Deirdre

i too enjoy a ciggie that's why I don't seem to be able to get off the 12 a week :0( however I think as more time goes on and I'm getting used to smoking more ecigs it seems to be getting easier, I think for me it's a mindset as well, I am a really habitual person so I need to be careful what I plan for myself because that's what I seem to be restricted to ( how silly is that) , as I just told Linda I seem to have no further symptoms at this stage I can still climb 3 sets of stairs without any issues but that's now we will see how we get along in the future, I am on Spiriva perhaps that's helping more than I think, hope your doing okay as well, what stage are you at the minute have they told you any more xx

• Posted

Lol, hello jilibean. I'm a bit new here myself but I do enjoy trying to help other people best way I can. I learn a lot too since I have a year and a half more to become a nurse. I hope you are feeling okay.
    • Posted

jillie - No I don't have copd, but my mom has borderline copd/emphysema and that is why I came on these forums for some clarity on a few of my questions.  I have asthma, nothing as serious as copd. My mom was a smoker since she was maybe 15/16yrs young. She unfortunately got breast cancer in '12 and got a mastectomy. 3 years later she has borderline copd. I'm hoping you are feeling alright. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.