New symptom ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

sore finger joints and a feeling of numbness in one middle finger on right hand.  It is really uncomfortable and this finger is lower in temperature than the other fingers.  It's keeping me awake at night and doctor doesn't know what to make of it. Anyone run across this?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes , my toes left and right. Between numbness pain and dreadful sensations any time I walk a few feet or try to stand on my tiptoes. Bloody awful feeling. Your not alone.
    • Posted

It is the two fingers (small and the adjacent ring finger)cold and really bad in the ring finger when I am in bed. I was fitted with 24hr heart monitor yesterday and will be back to hospital Monday. As I posted before Dalmane was a savour to me. It really did the business of getting rid of the itch though I still take 120mg Telfast. Hope it helps someone else. 
  • Posted

Do you take any beta-blockers at all?  Maybe you have Raynauds Syndrome which causes those symptoms like you describe.  Used to suffer myself until I changed medication.
    • Posted

What medIcation did you you change from And what do you take now. I was with vascular surgeon and he mentioned Raynuards. I am going on Mon to have Doppler scan.hope everything going well for you. 
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with gout many years ago.  It was described to me by the consultant as *the most intense pain known to medical science", and I believe him.  Excruciating.

Gout is usually associated with toes, particularly the big ones, but it can easily affect any joint, especially on the hands.  It is a form of arthritis  and  can safely be controlled with medication.  There is a known association between gout and PV sufferers but like anything else, it does not affect everybody.  Your consultant should put you right.  I sympathis with you re the pain.

• Posted

Have been to hospital for tests and was fitted with monitor. Going back there on Monday and will post then   Many thanks for your support. 
    • Posted

Hello James.  I was taking Hydroxycarbamide for many years following diagnosis of PV.  Over the years this drug became less effective for me and needed continual dosage adjustment (usually upwards).  About 3 yrs ago i participated in the trialling of a new drug (Ruxolitinib) for PV.  I was actually on the placebo and not the trialled drug but the only placebo I could be given, was Hydroxycarbamide, the  best treatment available available at the time.  I was taking the maximum dose of this to control PV.  I began to suffer many different unpleasant symptoms, one of which was the numbness in the fingers.  At the end of last year I questioned with the haematoligist these symptoms and also thye very severe pain I was getting in my R,Toes.  This all led to my being referred to a vascular surgeon concerning the appearance of ulcers on the toes concerned.  He concluded that the problems described were the result of the heavy dosage of Hydroxycarbamide.  As a result the haematologist immediately took me off  this drug and I was then transferred onto Ruxolitinib on which I have remained.  It is not yet available for general usage but is deesigned to deal with PV which the other drug is not.  The vascular surgeon has since dealt with the problem toes.  All pain has gone.  At the time I also questioned the use of  Atenolol which I was taking for a different complaint and which has a known side-effect of causing numbness in the fingers and toes.  I was stopped from taking this too, and am now taking Bisoprolol.  This is a similar type of drug but kinder to the system.  The ulcers causing all the trouble were difficult to diagnose but eventually showed up.  My conditions perplexed a number of experienced doctors.  It was often considered that I had diabetes but this was finally disproved by reference to the diabetes clinic at the hospital.  Today I feel no pain and and am grateful for that.  Raynauds Syndrome was often mentioned but not diagnosed.  This also causes similar painful limbs and numbness.  I found I needed to persist with my own ideas that Hydroxycarbamide was behind all the pain and suffering and the doctors now agree.  The trouble is that so rare is PV that few medics get the opportunity to study it.  The new drug Ruxolitinib was designed in USA and then found its way to UK for further trialling.  So far so good.
  • Posted

Hi James. I just noticed your post. I have gout and PV and arthritis. However, One time, I had a beer thinking it would not hurt my gout. My finger throbbed all night. I have never been a drinker, and this was a one time thing. However, I would not even have a glass of wine now. I've heard beer is worse for gout. Gout can come with arthritis and also with PV. Hop[e this helps.

harrishill 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I like yourself don't drink or smoke. As I have posted I will be going back to hospital on Monday. Will post results and what I am told. Best wishes to all 
  • Posted

About 2 mths ago i started getting a kind of shock sensation in both my feet when i walk or bend my toes up or down its a bit like when you knock your funny bone. Anyway aside from that i get numbness and a great deal of pain in both my 2 toes, its the same toe on both feet. I recently spent a £100 on a pair of new balance trainers, its like walking on a cushion of air, alas they didn't make any difference. Also i have to get my knees xrayed as they are both very sore recently.So i think i know what your talking about .
  • Posted

If you haven't aready done so, consult your haematologist about your symptoms.  Maybe you need some advice or a referral to arthritis clinic.  I have often been told that gout and PVR seem to be connected in some way.  You should not have to suffer pain such as you have.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your post Peter I have seen neurologist vascular surgeon and haematologist since and have been told Raynuards. On 17/9/15going for echo scan    Still have burning in legs and feet otherwise ok.   Hope everything ok with all
  • Posted

I'd say you are on track to get some results.  I have been through the mill myself over the years and received great support and sympathetic treatment from a very good hospital.  Let's hope you get the same.  Wish you well James.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.