New tingling feeling

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was diag with shingles on my right (dominant)hand 7 wks ago.  Blisters/rash gone but numb fingers and sometimes numb up my arm.  I have been doing (attempting) everything I can with left hand.  Now I am aware of tingling nerve sensation occasionally on left side.   Would this be caused by overuse of left side.  So depressing to not be able to do anything without extreme effort. I am starting to get OT on Monday and Hand doc wants me to have EMG to rule out carpal and plexus. But why this new tingling on other side. This is terrible.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps a cervical MRI is in order...shingles can pop up on either side...shingles can leave residual nerve pain for awhile...I find that a course of Lyrica-pregabalin 75 mg four times per day helps...another alternative is a brief prednisone burst....which fingers?
    • Posted

Thank you. First four fingers. Thumb showed arthritis. In the morning numbness seems much less and as day goes on by using a bit worse. My grip actually seems Getting stronger day by day..  The orthopedic hand dr said to have emg and also said he thinks its the shingles.  I am just freaked by the tingling feeling now intermittently happening.  Hope it is nothing that stays around.
    • Posted

You have chosen well...an orthopedic hand surgeon is the best person to help you.

Ask your GP about having the shingles vaccination. The current one is not 100% effective, but better than nothing.

That said, in October in the USA a new shingles vaccine considerably more effective has applied to the FDA, Food and Drug Administration....this vaccine is not live virus which means that those of us on chemo will be able to be vaccinated!

• Posted

Thank you.  Another issue.  If my hand shows improvement with the OT and the comment of my dr as he sugg an EMG that he believes it is the shingles and a little arthritis at my thum, I am increasingly concernd about this test and why I should have it.  I just do not want to be running from orth to neurologist etc. just because it is easy for dr to suggest. my hand shingles numbness hopefully goes away on its own with the occupatuonal  therapy.

any advice?

• Posted

because hands are very complex...you have 27 bones in your hand, five nerves...if a hand doc wants an EMG, I would have an EMG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.