New to Afib, misinformed and a bit scared!

Posted , 8 users are following.

First diagnosed in September, ablation and another procedure in October. Still short of breath, I've had several bouts with racing heart and chest pains. One visit to ER was uneventful. I'm wearing a heart monitor 24/7 for a month. The results are pending. Stupid questions, Does everyone find the bouts a bit frightening? Do you ever get used to it? How do you determine if it's bad enough to seek medical help. I'm lucky to be going to MD Anderson in Houston for treatment, they are AMAZING. My follow up appt is 2 months out and it sometimes feel like I'm not gonna make it. 

Thoughts anyone? Thanks for taking the time to read my nonsense!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Nick, when you know you have afib every bout of racing heart or breathlessness or 'loss' of energy should be treated seriously. In my experience the main concern about admitting myself (into ER) each time I experience episodes of racing heart etc is the costs of my hospital bills when I am hospitalised.

• Posted

So do you go to the ER evetime you have a flare up?
  • Posted

It's not nonsense.AF can by really scary. I had racing heart of 130bpm yesterday. Had an ablation 3 weeks ago. Went to my GP, who did an ECG and found the racing heart plus atrial flutter. Touch and go whether they referred me to my local hospital as an in patient, but opted for temporary beta blockers and blood thinners to help it settle down. I'm in the 3 month blanking period post ablation, so hopefully it will settle down, My cardiologist is the rather excellent Dr Fitzpatrick at the Manchester heart centre. Thankfully, I'm in the UK so don't have to worry about medical bills.

• Posted

Do I find the bouts frightening?   Well the first was a shock as it came out of the blue.

Are they frightening now - To me personally no - in fact when they happen I become quite calm perhaps that is because I know I need to be calm. 

Do you get used to it?      Yes is the simple answer - but perhaps that is because it keeps happening but nothing worse has happened so I have no reason to think it will be different!    Before my first flutter/af event - didn't ever feel my heart or palpitations - now when I have an event because my heart has gone mad for 15 mins to 4 hours - I get all this raw chest pain after  - can last 2- 3 weeks after the ablation a lot longer.   I was taken of the drugs I have been on for 15 months before my 1st ablation but I had to go back on them and and then wean myself off again ...but AF returned 1 year later.          That answers your questions but to me it sounds like you need advise  - I've never had shortness of breath and in UK if you had shortness of breath I think they would want to know so maybe you should seek some advise on that.    Finally not nonsense - bewildering yes.  

The advise given to me is that is the heart is out  - I can tell by my pulse rate for more than 2 hours seek help.     Mine normally goes to 190  - has been up to 240 but after 4 hours when it wasn't lower than 140 they took me to hospital.   Good Luck

• Posted

Kate,

Thanks so much for taking time to send such a great response. When I finish my month wearing the heart monitor, they want to discuss doing the 'maze' procedure on me. That will get interesting!

Take care, have a great holiday.

• Posted

Ugh a maze procedure is a bit outdated? I wonder if they have a particular reason for it? Here in the UK another ablation would be more normal. I had 3 and now live life AF free.

Was it scary - no not to begin with. I've had it a long time and I knew what it was (medical family / inherited condtion). The episodes were self terminating. All I had to do was stop what I was doing and preferably go to sleep. Not always possible of course! I was up a mountain in Mallorca when I had an episode, which was not ideal!

Remaining calm is probably quite important but when your heart beat is lurching all over the place its not that easy! Once the episodes reached a certain length I made sure I was on anti-coagulants. I did not want a stroke.

I think its a good idea to learn how to check your pulse and acquire a blood pressure monitor. Ask your doctor about acceptable rates

Have you been able to work out if there are any particular triggers to your episodes? If you look at other peoples posts you will find quite a few notably alcohol and cafffeine. Its worth taking time to try and identify these and try to avoid. 

It was not until my episodes became quite severe  -( they WERE scary!) that I started to call the GP or an ambulance. I became very short of breath and found moving difficult. Episodes did not terminate with a pill in the pocket strategy with Flecainide. Something to ask your docs

about?

When the GPs simply started calling ambulances for me I did it myself!

Do you get used to it? Yes! Looking back on it I became quite blase about my hospital trips to A&E so often did I make the trip. Its amazing what you can get used to...Not sure about being recognised by nurses in the EMU though...you here again! Made me squirm! 

How do you gauge the severity of an episode? Well for me, it was the aftermath..really knocked me about so that I felt as if I was newly convalscent - fatigue and lassitude due to lack of oxygen I expect. 

• Posted

Okapis, What an amazing response! Thank you so much for taking the time to record your thoughts, they are very helpful. 

I'm not looking forward to any upcoming procedure, I found the ablation procedure painful and incredibly unpleasant, but i would gladly submit if it alleviated my issues.

The major trigger for me seems to be night fall! The shortness of breath and racing heart seems to come on around bedtime, just in time to interrupt my sleep pattern. They get worse when I lay flat, thank goodness I have an adjustable bed! 

I've had multiple discussions with my doctors and the meds have been helping. I've been wearing a heart monitor for a month, I send it in tomorrow, I'm eager to get the results. 

I'm really struggling right now, my quality of life is shattered. Hopefully we will have a solid game plan in place soon. Thanks again for giving me some of your valuable time!

• Posted

Nightfall would be a trigger I've not heard of before! What were you doing beforehand; Eating something specific? Drinking soft drink /alcohol. Could all contain triggers.

I found it impossible to lie flat during episodes too - needed to be slightly propped up.

I'm sorry you found the ablation unpleasant. i must say I found the first one pretty awful. I was sedated not given a GA and kept coming round - (pain from my back an inflammatory arthritis). A nightmarish scenario where I could hear what was being said including "she's moving again" followed by more sedation again and again. The net result was that I did not come round after a very long procedure (7 hours and I was the first one in) until the early hours of the morning and found myself in a ward. Felt like a dead dog  - not that anything dead has feelings but you get my drift!

Fortunately the hospital moved the catheter ablation unit to another hospital, a postgraduate training / teaching hospital in London, changed policy and started giving GA's for the ablations. Much to be preferred from my point of view.

Hope you did not have sedation only ! My 2nd abaltion was better but still not a walk in the park especially since I developed sepsis after it but the 3rd was excellent...much to my relief - different doctor!

Lets hope the monitor nails whats going on in your heart. (thats not the right verb!) AF can be a pain to catch over short periods but a months worth should show whats going on

Your quality of life will improve if youre in paroxysmal AF if thats the problem. Not so easy with Permanent AF but you've acted early so thats good!  

• Posted

What a nightmare! That sounds remarkably familiar to my sedation fiasco. I warned them about my high tolerance to meds but they did not give me enough juice. They went through an artery in my leg and I was aware throughout, I even had dialogue with the surgeon. It was very uncomfortable, but not searing pain. That happened afterwards when they had to apply direct pressure to the two entry points, that were basically large puncture holes, for 15 minutes to ensure there was no bleeding. It was level 10 stuff. I had some dialogue at that point as well, and I'm sure they thought I possessed! I still haven't received the final prognosis, I'm wanting to get that over with and move forward. I would kill for a goods nights sleep. 

• Posted

We love London by the way, we have many great friends there. We try and get over a couple times a year. Our friend has a flat in Shepherds Bush and she puts us up. We spend a fair amount of time visiting friends in Chichester as well.
    • Posted

Hah just moved out of Shepherds Bush to the country beyond Salisbury!

And had a good nights sleep yesterday night! Phew what a difference it makes! 

• Posted

I use a wedge pillow and sleep on my side, switching sides as the night rolls on. it really helps!
  • Posted

Dear Nick P

It's always scary when our body is working in new ways and especially if we know the symptoms can be scary. I feel very fortunate that I don't have symptoms although I do have AF. My problem is extreme exhaustion which I'm trying to conquer by having a daily walk with my dog. However I don't think you should worry about contacting your medical team who sound very helpful you need to be reasured when your feeling scared or a bit off colour and you know your heart is beating very fast. Good luck to you Nick P and I hope the ticker slows down a bit soon. Not too slow though. Therapy Girl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.