New to Alli Suggestions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm new to Alli.  Just bought it today.  I've been following a pretty good diet the last 2 weeks.  I took 1 pill today.  I'm curious if anyone else started out with 1 a day?  I'm nervous about "side effects"  I've definitely been eating less that 15 g fat per meal but still very nervous since I've read numerous horror stories!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just started yesterday - kinda nervous about the side effects as well.  We must've read the same stories. Lol. Yesterday, I took the 3 pills - one a little before each meal. (I'm not used to eating 3 meals or more a day, so that will be a challenge I guess).  So far, so good...none of the side effects. 👍

I guess one question I have is - are you not supposed to bother with taking the pill if that particular meal has little or no Fat grams?  Like say less than 10 grams of fat, don't take a pill?  Or less than 5 grams, don't bother taking one?

• Posted

I wondered the same thing. My breakfast today consists of a banana and a meal replacement shake so less than 5 g of fat. I think I'm just going to take it at lunch today. And just do one pill again. I think I'll call Alli customer service today and ask.

• Posted

I did about the same, a banana and a yogurt, but with a pill. Let me know what they say if you don't mind. I'm curious as to what they say - could save from wasting pills. 😉

And i I agree with cryingdietgirl below - I was worried it wasn't working when I had no bad side effects. Lol.

• Posted

It didn't help much! She just said if you eat a meal with no fat, there is no need to take it as it is ineffective. I asked about 5-10 grams of fat. She just said 15 grams is recommended. I think I'll just start with skipping the breakfast one unless I eat more than 10 grams. I know that the adverse effects occur with taking it with too much fat.

I was gassy yesterday after only taking 1 pill about 2-3 hours after lunch and it was low fat. It could just be a coincidence but I'm only doing 1 today and I'll do 2 tomorrow if no adverse effects. She couldn't tell me if building up to 3x was recommended. I'm also on the low end of overweight 5'2" and 147

• Posted

Hi, I don't know if the Alli advice is different to the advice given for taking full-strength orlistat (Alli is half the strength of the prescription stuff) but we're told that if your meal has less th a 4g fat in it don't take a pill - doing so may give you cramps etc as there isn't enough fat for it to work on.

• Posted

Okay, day 5 is complete and I think the minor side effects are officially here. Lol. Pretty gassy and a couple trips to the "office" for an extended meeting. 😳

I'm taking one if the meal is anything over 5+ grams of fat - trying to eat 3 times a day. 😊  I'm on the low end as well, trying to drop about 15 lbs. give or take a couple. 

• Posted

So far so good here. A little gassy in the evenings. Normal, but more frequent "office visits"! Have worked out every day but 1. Fat grams have been 10-15 per meal. I'll step on the scale Monday!

• Posted

Any weight loss or changes?  I just posted another question but figured I'd ask you, since it sounds like you are doing Alli too, not prescribed orlistat. I'm thinking about taking 2 tonight at dinner. Prescription is 120 mg and Alli is 60. I've had no change, nothing!

• Posted

I am taking perscription strength and I am on week two and I have gained and lost the same 1 kg. So really no reaction I don't think yet. We shall see Thursday if week 3 brings a loss. So it might just be taking some time to work for you as well regardless of strength.

• Posted

I've dropped a couple pounds. That's it. Yes, I'm just doing Alli purchased OTC. I was thinking about doubling up as well after reading some other comments tonight. Then I just read your post... hmmm, so I think I will do exactly that starting with tomorrow's first meal. So we can keep each other posted on this change too then I guess. Lol.  We'll get this thing working. Haha 👍

• Posted

I did lose .80 lb. Was hoping for more! I took 2 with dinner the last 2 nights. I'm afraid of being gassy at work! I might try lunch and dinner today.

• Posted

I started taking the two with breakfast this morning. And yes, the gassy moments have definitely kicked with just the regular dosage; so we will see.  Are you in England?  I'm in Texas, US. 

• Posted

I think the majority here are in England! No, I'm in Illinois. Just took 2 at lunch. Fingers crossed!

• Posted

There is also a Facebook group but seems to be mostly England, UK. I had to ask someone what the heck they are talking about with stones.
    • Posted

Yeah, that was a Google moment.  14 pounds, right?  Lol. 

So i guess i want to lose a 3/4 stone to a stone. Haha 

• Posted

Thinking you were from across the Lake (you threw me off when you used a kilogram at one point), i was trying to figure out the time difference.  Like if I was commenting on breakfast you'd be hitting dinner.  But Illinois, i guess no calculation needed.  Haha

• Posted

So now my biggest problem is trying to remember if I took the pills or just thought about it! I did it this morning while getting ready for work. At lunch I know I took them. After dinner, I'm not sure I did! But I don't want to take 4! Get me a pill box like an old lady!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.