New to Bisoprolol

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was started on Bisoprolol recently due to eptopic beats connected to a heart valve problem I've had since childhood. My heart rate was in the 40s prior to started the drug. All week I've continued to be bradycardic and dizzy at times and palpations on and off. I've seen the Gp but he did nothing. How long does it take for the drug to work? I'm on a really low dose of 1.25mg a day.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelletlc,  I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. Go back to your GP and ask for referral to the cardiologist as he/she may prescribe you different medication.  I take Bisoprolol 10mg a day only, I take my tablets at night because I find the Bisoprolol makes me feel tired. I also, have to take Warfarin with it. I don't know when you take your meds but, some people take them in the morning on an empty stomach, not a good idea, much better taken after food. If that is the case then, you may feel better taking them at night. Good Luck x

• Posted

Thank you LuckyPenny1 I am waiting follow up with cardiologist. Interesting about taking the meds at bedtime. I will try this.
  • Posted

I've read elsewhere that you should start on 1.25 for one week then your GP should up it to 2.50 for a further week and so on until you are on a dosage that works for you. I never got beyond 2.50 because I had all the weird psychotic side effects that this drug is capable of, and I was put back on the betablocker I'd been on for 15 years without any side effects. Best of luck and may bisoprolol work well for you as I understand its an excellent drug for bradycardia.

• Posted

Thank you david05967. I was started on 2.5mg initially but it lowered my heart rate to 34bpm! However, 1.25mg doesn't seem to be enough. I wondered how long I should leave it to work? I've been on this dose 12 days now. I did actually have a good day yesterday. So here's hoping it's kicked in now.

• Posted

A drug will start to work stronger after some time after it builds up in your system.

But, also, 1,25Mg is NOT a low dose.

It sounds as a tiny dose, but it can easily lower a HR in some people by 20-30, and lower a blood pressure by 20-30 points also.

Of course, some people need larger doses.

But still, 1,25Mg is not a small dose.

It is the smallest dose of this drug (prescribed).

But that is quite a powerful drug.

• Posted

Thank you bob52204 I presumed that it was a low dose as it was the lowest this drug started at. I think the dose has finally started taking effect as I'm nearly 36hrs palpations free now. When I started on 2.5mg it stopped them immediately so I was concerned I was on too low of a dose when they returned.

• Posted

I know.

About it being a strong dose: 1,25Mg is low compared with 10Mg, but 1,25 is a lot compared to people who don't take Beta Blockers.

As I have said, even a 1,25Mg dose (at least in my case) was able to knock down my resting HR from 75 to 55-60 and my blood pressure from 125-130 to 90-100.

Also, I have read some medical studies on patienst which have explained that for example:

1,25 Mg will lower your HR for let's say 10 (this is just an example)

2,50 Mg will lower your Hr for let's say 13-15.

5,00 Mg will lower your Hr for let's say 17.

10,00 Mg will lower your Hr for let's say 20.

So, it is not working as: 1,25 will lower your HR for xx amount, and 2,50 will lower it for twice as much, and 10,00 will lower it for 8 times more than 1,25 Mg dose.

Even when you take the lowest possible dose of a drug, you will get let's say 50% of a protection of a highest dose (10Mg).

For example, if my BP dropped from from 130 to 90 even on a 1,25 Mg dose, my BP surely wouldn't drop for 40+40 at 2,50 Mg dose, to Blood pressure 50.

Also, my BP surely wouldn't drop for 8x40 points=320 points on a 10,00 Mg dose.. (I would have a negative -200 BP then)

So, in one way, even the lowest dose is very strong and to some extent, you will see a biggest improvement/effects from 0 Mg to 1,25 Mg.

Effects will be way weaker from 1,25Mg to 2,50 or from 2,50Mg to 5,00Mg.

So, the difference is the strongest from 0 Mg (not taking a drug) to 1,25 Mg.

Anyway, good luck

• Posted

HI Michelletlc....   im new to bisoprolol as well...  actually haven't started the meds yet as im kinda terrified.  Has it further dropped your heart rate?  Thats my fear for me i guess... i dont want to go to low.

• Posted

Hi marcy49900 I have had my dose increased to twice a day now as my heart valve is failing. The dose has not lowered my heart rate any more but it has just stayed in the 40s. Apparently this is not dangerous for me. But I suggest you seek medical advice if you feel dizzy, faint or any concerns. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.