New to group - I just read taking Levothyroxine at night helps better. Any comments?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed as having hyperparathyroidism last year. After scans, they found a tumor on one of my para's. I also was diagnosed with a goiter. So I opted to have my thyroid removed since I had to have the tumor removed. I was put on 100 mg of Levothyroxine. I'm now on 125 mg. I still feel very tired & at times sleep a lot. I want to feel better. Not sure how to get there. I also have chronic back pain with 2 previous neck surgeries for ruptured discs. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My Neurosurgeon wants me to have surgery asap for my spinal stenosis in my low back.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you need T3 to make the T4 work. You need to read about T3 to understand why. However, your symptoms which led your GP to diagnose fibro are probably your interactive thyroid not fibro. GPs do this all the time because they don't understand the thyroid issue. So annoying...it is like .."well I don't know what this person's problem is so I will say it's fibro". Try T3. Not very easy to get tho!!
  • Posted

Wow Susan, you've really been through a lot. So sorry for your difficulties. This is probably TMI, but I hope my experience can save you some hassle. 

From your post, the first thing that jumps out is the neck surgeries for ruptured discs. Thyroid health has been linked to heck health. If you do a search for this, you'll likely find articles linking whiplash injuries with thyroid disease. 

Next, thyroid and parathyroid require calcium, boron and other trace minerals to function properly. And improper thyroid function can result in loss of bone density and can negatively affect bone health. I'd recommend a multi mineral supplement along with organic, gluten-free diet, high in vegetables and animal protein.

Since thyroid health is related to immune system health, it is not surprising or uncommon that you also have fibromyalgia. Thyroid disease is often accompanied by fm, stomach problems, food sensitivities and celiac's disease, among other problems. So a holistic, natural approach is often very effective.

As as for your tiredness... Not surprising, given your condition. However, everything I've read is with thyroid removal and severe thyroid disease, is you can dose by weight, but it seems most people with severe disease need a dose close to 200 units to feel well. Unfortunately, also typical, is people with advanced thyroid disease have health that has degraded to the point that levothyroxin often produces more side effects. Also, the higher the dose of levo, the worse the side effects. In addition, your myriad of health problems indicates that a T4 only medication may not be the best choice for you, since people with compromised immune systems often have difficulties converting T4 medications into the more active T3 thyroxin that the body also needs. 

As as for your question about taking thyroid meds before bed, I found this to actually help me sleep better. I've gone back and forth between various times of day for the meds. Do whatever works for you. I also found the thyroid meds to cause some stomach upset. So I often take meds with a little fruit if my stomach is not feeling well. 

If if it were me, I'd hold off on the spinal surgery and see if I could reverse some of the spinal stenosis with some holistic treatments, natural remedies, diet, traditional Chinese Medicine. What've you got to lose? Surgery is costly and requires months of recoup time.

In my research, I've found there are better and more natural treatments for every ailment I've encountered. I, like you, have experienced a myriad of autoimmune disease and illness.  After several years of failed medical treatment that worsened my condition at every turn, I chose a natural route of treatment. I finally feel like my health is improving instead of declining thanks to a clean diet and assistance from natural practitioners.

Hope that helps to empower you to find a good solution.

Catherine

• Posted

Hi, in answer to your question, yes its better to take it at night, because the uptake of medication is slower and lasts longer in your system simply because there is nothing else going on (like digestion, going to the toilet, expending energy through daily activity) I had a total thyroidectomy 4 years ago, and have stabilised on 125mcg of LevoThyroxine. It takes a while, I admit, because everyone is different, but I can now safely say that I am back to feeling like I was before and my blood results are consistent. It does take time, but just do what you can. Speak to your doctor about the other things, and don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with. You know your body better than a medical textbook does! smile
    • Posted

What claire says about it being better absorbed at night agrees with what I've read, however when I tried it, it was like I had been given a shot of adrenaline and I couldn't sleep - which just reinforces the old adage 'we're all different'!
    • Posted

Thank you. I started taking my Levo medication at night last Friday. That night it was like taking a shot of adrenaline! I didn't sleep until Sat. night. I am happy to report that I am feeling so much better! I am not sleeping during the day! I have more energy! I feel alive again! I am able to do house work. My pain has decreased!!! I also put my Levo in the refrigerator. So far it's been a blessing!
    • Posted

Oh thats great to hear, Susan! I have to say that taking it at night doesn't have that effect on me but my husband says its like sleeping next to a hot water bottle! Apparently I get really hot - yet I don't feel any warmer than usual, ha! Oh, and can I ask why you put the Levo in the fridge? Does the coolness do something for it? I just have mine next to the bed so its the last thing I do before sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.