New to Methotrexate

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been taking methotrexate for 5 weeks for scleraderma.  I feel nauseous, extremely tired, have mouth ulcers and generally weepy.  I am currently working full time but finding it hard.  I have been told I am likely to "get used to" the side effects after about 3 months. 

I wanted to know if anyone else considered having a few weeks off work to adjust or am I being pathetic!

Thanks guys! Eager to hear from you

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am on MTX for RA it made me feel really bad until I switched to the injections. I still get side effects but not like the pills. Ask your Dr. About injections they bypass your digestive system. I did miss a few days at the start from prednisone and MTX side effects.

Good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for the advice.  Good luck with your treatment.
  • Posted

Hi Alison first of all good luck with your treatment i havent got the condition that you have I have got R.A Im surprised very much that you are working i dont no how you are doing it so in answer to your question no you are not being pathetic get the time off work till your meds are doing the job its supposed to i can no longer work because of the side effects also my condition but thats by the by get yourself fit first your health is important it could be a long long time before you get back to work but good luck let me no how you are getting on
    • Posted

hello I'm new on here i take 8 pills now and I'm in so much pain and i work so how did it take for you to get to the point that you couldn't work

• Posted

Alison. You have a serious autoimmune illness with Scleraderma. I know this as my sister has had the same illness. Your body is reacting to Methotrexate and you need time. Ask your doctor to give you this time by signing you off work for a couple of weeks. Once you get over the side affects you will feel better. Good luck to you and I wish you well.
  • Edited

Bless you

Please don't ever think you are pathetic! As Ann said I'm surprised you are even working.

There are options of injection but I've never had them myself. I had all the side effects at first but they have eased off. For the mouth ulcers I used Biotene mouthwash and gargled 3 times a day with a couple of drops of tea tree oil (advice I got on here and worked better than the mouthwash for me 😊) and for the nausea try ginger (I ate biscuits) and also citrus fruit. The one thing I would advise definitely is to make sure you are on folic acid for the 6 days you aren't taking the MTX and it has to be prescribed by a doctor, not bought over the counter. This had the biggest impact on lessening my side effects (and many others on here).

As for being weepy don't forget you have just been diagnosed with a chronic disease with vile treatment and that is enough on its own. Add in the real world and know that you are not alone. Pathetic? I think you are very courageous for even still working and for reaching out for advice.

Take the time off. Be good to yourself and go with what your body wants to do and if that is stay in pjs and watch films then do it!

Finally be assured you are not on your own and for those who tolerate MTX and come out the other side of the symptoms it can be a really effective treatment. Bless you. Sending you some sunshiny thoughts ☀️☀️☀️

Lisa x

• Posted

hello I'm Terronda I'm new on here so don't take folic acid the same time u take Methotrexate

• Posted

Ask your doctor about prescribing folic acid, it has helped my side effects alot, especially the mouth ulcers and nausea smile

• Posted

Are you using folic acid with it, because folic acid makes the mouth ulcers disapear and takes the tiredness away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.