new to mitrazipine

Posted , 6 users are following.

started on 30mg today after a week in the psych ward tapering off venlafaxine, any positive stories would be appreciated x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gina

Sorry for your suffering.

How long did you taper the Venlafaxine for?

I've been on Mirt for over a year, it worked well for me and helped me sleep.  I had insomnia which lead to anxiety which lead to depression and Mirt' worked instantly to cover the sleep.

I am withdrawing very slowly, Mirt' is hard to come off & requires a long taper, no sudden stops, ask advice when you need to.

Wishing you well  x

• Posted

I have done really well on mirtazapine. It worked within days at improving my depression and kept it at bay for four years. It also stopped my migraines, itchy skin, IBS and morning sickness. It allowed me to sleep like a normal person for the first time in my life and I was able to ditch the benzos. The dowside was that I put on around 20lbs in weight and it completely pooped out on me a few months ago, leading to me having to taper off it. I am currently down to 1.8mg. I was on 15mg for a month and then went up to 30mg. You are starting on quite a high dose for first time use of mirt. It does knock you out for a couple of weeks with drowsiness which lasts through the next day, but that effect soon wears off. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Gina

I was started on 30mg Mirt back in Nov. Have found it to work amazingly well and it gave me back my life. I have put on a little bit of weight but that's ok and it is stabilising now. Give it a few weeks as I had the odd day of anxiety when first starting. Good luck smile

• Posted

thankyou for all your positive replies xxx
  • Posted

Hi Gina and welcome. 

Venlafaxine is evil. I tried it twice one dose each time and missed the whole next day as I was so ill on it. I've been of Mirt for 4 weeks tomorrow. Had hard days and good days. The more I read the more I learn we all need proper REM sleep and that makes getting off any med or even staying healthy easier. I dropped from 15mg to half a tablet and then nothing in ten days. Like I said its Ben up and down. I'm having more good days than bad now so I'm hoping this is the new me now. Drug free. I was wrongly diagnosed and put on ADs which brought on panic attacks and anxiety. After six different types of ADs I'm finally drug free and seeing a shrink to help me get over my mental breakdowns and PTSD. Drugs will never change who I am or what I have seen or done bit talking about it is helping me understand and move on. 

• Posted

Hi Gina - I was wondering whether the venlafaxine you have used was also known as Efexor? I was on that for a while some years ago and it was very unpleasant. I have also heard that it has been withdrawn in some countries due to suicidal tendancies in some users.

I was placed on Avanza (mirtazipine) as an alternative. Have used at 30-45 mg for the past 5 - 6 years. There was some weight gain initially which was a positive in my case. I have not endured any other side effects, and am able to sleep well in the night. For me it has been positive experience. Hope it works for you, best of luck.

• Posted

yes, its known as effexor, had a terrible time on them, glad mitrazapine has been good for you, its helping my anxiety, just wish these brain zaps wouls stop x
    • Posted

I had horrible headaches when first starting Mirtazapine but they went after about 2 weeks. Keep in touch and let us know how you're going smile
    • Posted

1 week in Jean and all is well, the zaps are subsiding, either that or I am getting used to them, hope you are well xx
    • Posted

This is good news😊 Be prepared for anything and have a plan in place in case some anxiety comes back. It may just be withdrawal from the Effexor.

I am doing ok. As well as Mirtazapine I also take Sertraline which I would like to come off but it seems that every time I try to reduce even slightly the anxiety comes back. I must be very sensitive as I thought the Mirt would cover it. Anyway, overall doing ok.

Take care

Jean X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.