New to orlistat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I've been prescribed orlistat today and wanted ask advice. I'm going on holiday in three weeks. Should I start them now and try lose some weight before I go away, have a week off and get back on it after my holiday or should I wait until I get back? I really would like to try and lose something before I go to fell better about myself. I only have about 3 stone in total to lose. Thanks x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've just started, and reading through the posts and stuff on the internet, I would say start a low fat diet NOW, and start the Orlistat when you come back if you want to have a worry free holiday. I think it takes time to leave your system - 72 hours I've seen somewhere, so it's not something to start and stop just like that. 

I was on a low fat diet before I started my Orlistat, for about a week.  I also got "The alli Diet Plan: Your Essential Guide to Success with Alli" - Alli is a half strength version of Orlistat. It is really helpful for showing you what to eat, and how much fat you should have.  (eBay is probably the cheapest place to get it, Amazon have it for 1p + £2.80 postage.  Thanks to the book, I have had no Orange Incidents so far, and seem to have lost a good 5 lbs in as many days.

Beware of take-aways, and eating out!  If you plan on doing a lot of that on your holiday, then don't start the Orlistat, or stop it a good few days beforehand.  The after effects of eating too much fat while on Orlistat are NOT nice at all, and the last thing you want to have on holiday!!

Good luck, and have a great holiday!!  

• Posted

Thanks. I've never had a bad diet, I always do clean eating but due to a hormone imbalance I have slowly put weight on even though I exercise regularly and eat a healthy balanced diet so this was something the doctor thought might help me.

so I'm hoping due to my diet I shouldn't have any side effects anyway. Do you know what the average weekly weight loss on it isn't?

thanks x

• Posted

It's a bit of a difficult question, as it varies with each person, and there is no set figure.  Possibly 2 lbs per week, and depending on how closely you are following the diet, but even then, it may be more or less.  All you can do is look on ANY loss as a bonus! (And not to beat yourself up if it stays the same, or goes up.

I just hope I can stay away from the chocolate and the biscuit bingeing!!

Good luck!! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.