New to Site - Pre Op...a Bit Nervous...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone. I just found out this past Wednesday (4/27) that I'll have to have an open myomectomy. My fibroids are not as large of some of the other ladies' I've been reading about, but I've been told they range in size from 3cm to almost 6cm. My issue is, they have grown to those sizes in a little less than 2 months and they have also almost trippled in number in a little less than 2 months as well. I am 32 with no children and would love to have at least one biological child. It was difficult for me to come to the decision to move forward with the surgery because I didn't really plan to have children for the next 3 to 5 years, but with the rate that the fibroids are growing (in size and in number), I feel like waiting may do more harm than good.

Like I said, I am pre-op, so I've been researching day and night, trying to get as much information as I possibly can. I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this site because it's putting my mind at ease a bit and you all have also given me great insight on not only what to expect, but how to prepare to make thisĀ  as smooth as it possibly can be.

It seems that most people start trying to conceive about 6 months to 1 year post op. Since that isn't my plan (I'm trying to finish school and get my business going), I was wondering if anyone who has had the procedure done in the past had any issues trying to conceive a few years post-op?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

I did not have the procedure but I have friends that did. The recovery is like a c-section . Also, my friends wanted to conceive after the procedure and they did but they all had at least one miscarriage after. So, it is something to think about.

• Posted

Hi! cheesygrin

Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear about your friends' micarriage. That is one of my biggest fears. I can't even imagine. Glad to know they were able to conceive though. Do you know how long after the procedure they conceived?

Thanks again!!!

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. I can't help with your question but your surgeon should be able to answer that, I'd probably also want a second opinion with something so important. I had esmya (2x 3montgs) but it didn't shrink my fibroids enough. I had an MRI that showed at least 15, 2 of which are 6cm across. I'm 38 and would also v much like children. I saw the surgeon on Tuesday and am booked in to have an open lap on June 30. The surgeon will do microsurgery to remove them. He says my best chance will be via IVF, and also recommends a C-section delivery. I wish you every luck with. Your plans.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for the response and sorry to hear about your situation as well. These things can be pretty stressful. I got a second (and third opinion) and everyone is pretty much in agreement. Also, my grandmother is a nurse and she sat down and talked to me about risks and and gave me advice as well. I guess because things are so risky and I really do want to have children of my own one day, I just want to really make sure I am making an informed decision.

Again, thanks for your insight. It's very much appreciated. Good luck to you in June!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.