new to stoma

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello there I've had my stoma 3 and a half months would like to ask if some of what I'm getting is normal or was anyone the same , I'm worried about the output it did start to get like it normaly would and be regular at certain times of the day and would know when it would be active so I could go about my day and go out and go visiting knowing I wouldn't need to change but recently it's gone erratic one minute I'm constipated the next it's like a stomach upset and works on and off all day I've not changed any of my food and not on any medication , it has made me not want to go out incase it happens while I'm out as I have to change my bag a lot just can't think what is upsetting my stomach. If anyone can put a light on this would be grateful x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, have you spoken to your stoma nurse because they are usually very experienced and knowledgeable? You will take a while to become settled in your output. Are you emptying rather than changing sometimes ? Sheila.
    • Posted

Hello Sheila thanks for replying I only wear a drainable bag at night so I do empty the bag a couple of times in the morning then I wear flushable in the day there not as big and you can't flush them but much more comfortable, I have left a message for a stoma nurse to ring me just for a chat about it I think of just got to get used to having a stoma which I'm finding hard at the moment, and stop worrying about every pain I get and changes in bowel movement's, can I ask how long you have had your stoma for and did you have any problems xx

• Posted

Hi I see I have asked you about your stoma and I read your reply again and you don't say you have one I do apologise if I got it wronge x

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I haven't got a stoma but my son had one and I came on here firstly to get some info to help him and then to share experiences. He had UC and then an ileostomy and now a j pouch. He did struggle at first with his stoma and getting into a pattern of useage but it soon settled down. Good luck to you. Sheila.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me Sheila yes it does take a lot of getting used to but I'm lucky enough to be able to have it reversed next year good luck to you and your son x

• Posted

Hi, I wish you well on your reversal, is it to a j pouch?  Did you have UC? Sheila.
    • Posted

Hi no they are going to connect the bowel together again back to the way it was , I had a blockage in my bowel caused by diverticulitis x
    • Posted

Good, so a temporary stoma, I have heard of that. Good news. Sheila.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.