New to the group

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have just taken my first dose of methotrexate today and a friend thinks I'm mad for taking it because if the side affects. Can someone pls tell me it's not as bad as it reads.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have takend Methotrexate since last May.  I did not read the side effects in the beginning as I did not want to imagine that I was having all of them.  Ha Ha   I finallhy read the side effects a couple of weeks ago just to see what everyone is talkign about.  The side effects appear to me to be no worse, perhpas not as bad as the side effects of prednisone.  The point of taking methotrexate is to help a person lower their dose of prednisone and get off of it as soon as possible.  I started at 20 mg prednisone last May and am down to 6 mg, so to drop to 5 mg.  My rheumotologist has said that once I am off of prednisone that he will want me to continue on the methotrexate.  That is fine with me.  I have not had all of the flares that I am always reasding about nere.  I do have a bit of soreness once in the while when I first get up, so I am not pain free, but feel good, have energy, and that is all I can ask for.  I think that the fact that I have done well is that I started the methotrexate in the very beginning right long with the prednisone.  I hope this reassures you.  Good luck!!
  • Posted

Hi I have been on Methotrexate since January of 2016.  As long as you are taking Folic acid with it the side affects will not be as bad.  I was really dizzy at first and that has went away.  My stomach still gets funny with it usually after the 2nd day that part is better.  I usually have maybe 3 days of really tired.  NO energy what so ever.  I take on Friday and usually by Tuesday I feel almost human again and then I have to take again and start the cycle over again.  I has gotten better.  I have no more spots or patches and I have not had any new areas that are damaged.  I have my good days and bads days.   One day at a time.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi carman,

I've been taking methotrexate since last August and haven't had any serious side effects. I would probably say be careful what you eat if you're prone to stomach upsets. The day after my weekly treatment is usually when I suffer, but it settles in a couple of hours. I made sure I had the day off work the first time I took it just to be on the safe side.

The other thing to remember is that it takes at least 3 months to feel the benefits, so if you do suffer any serious side effects speak to your doctor as they may give you something else instead. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Carman, firstly welcome to our group. I know how you feel Carman about taking these drugs. The only advice to you is you have to think what you really want. Really it's a no win situation. If you don't take the methotrexate symptoms get worse. I am presuming you have started the methotrexate for psoriatic arthiritis? If you do take methotrexate yes there can be side effects but you can always talk to people about these side effects. You should be having blood monitoring every month which will detect any major effect the drug is having on you. I take my dosage of methotrexate on Friday evenings which then if anything I have the weekend to deal with any side effects. The way I looked at it I want to stay as active as possible, yes I do still have bad days/weeks but at least the methotrexate are slowing things down. I must admit I do find the fatigue and tiredness does get me down. At first I didn't think the methotrexate had any effect on my psoriatic arthiritis but now things are better, yes I'm still in pain I do still get stiffness I am tired sometimes but I ask myself how much worse would I be without the methotrexate. I think I am regularly monitored for any harm to my body and organs. People on here are very helpful you don't feel so alone by talking to other sufferers. It helps immensely by reading other people's journey with this disease. Only you can make the decision Carmen I just looked at every perspective of taking or not taking methotrexate. I just thought I want to stay as active as I possibly can for as long as I can. I am regularly monitored for any effects this drug is having on my body. My nurse at the rheumatology clinic is always there to talk to if I need anything. Don't listen to friends and family listen to yourself. Think what you really want to do. You will make the right decision for yourself. Keep talking to people it does help.

• Posted

I have been taking Methotrexate since I was 24 - I'm now 48.  Yes, it has a few side effects but I'm seen much, much worse.  The bottom line is for most people with PA it works.  It's always a difficult decision to make but what is the alternative?  Does your friend feel your pain?  No - it's your body and this medication slows down the progression of a deblitating disease and damage to your joints.  There is no "alternative" "natural" medicine or quack diet that will miraculously stop PA. By law the medical community and drug makers must disclose even the excedingly rare and catastrophic possibilities. If those side effects were shown to be unacceptable compared to the benefit of taking it - it wouldn't have made it to the market.  Virtually every drug has side effects but it's up to you to decide if it is worth it.

I eventually required both my hips and knee joints replaced but Methotrexate made life bearable in combination with celebrex and pain meds.  Sure it can make you feel a bit awful after taking it but it is worth it in my opinion.  

• Posted

Thankyou everyone for your responses. I wasn't worried about taking it, it's everyone else. Like you say they don't feel my pain. So far so good no effects yet.

• Posted

Hi there I have been on methotrexate for many years sometimes I have days where it makes me feel sick but overall it is fine I have changed to sulfasalazine which are better for me hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi,

The first time it was suggested I went on methotrexate, I wasn't too sure, but do not regret taking it, I was only on it for 2-3 years, the knees were fine, driving, walking, swimming and horse riding. Unfortunately I had a fall indoors and the Psoriatic arthritis flared up again, the rheumatologist advised injections, first lot lasted 10 weeks, knees were not 100%, second lot of injections did nothing, so for the past 9 months, been practically housebound, if someone takes me out its in a wheelchair, In the end I asked for an earlier appoinment and asked for methotrexate.I have been on it for 12 weeks and pleased to say there is some improvement,, I still have a long way to go, but have faith in methotrexate. I know this drug can have differents effects on each person, I have never had any bad ones. Each day is different, some my knees are fine, another painful to get up and down. I think its worth the blood tests and cutting out or down on drinking, to be walking about again. Give it a try and see how you get on with it.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Many thanks I hope you feel better soon. I've realised it's not for everyone but if I don't try I will never no

• Posted

Hi Carman 

I have been on MTX for over a year now with no side effects, granted everyone is different, some people have a bad reaction to it. But unless you try it you will not know, It may be the Medication that works for you. 

So no your not mad for trying it, Your friends are not the ones suffering and im sure if it was them they would give anything a go. 

• Posted

My rheumatologist prescribed methotrexate for treatment after a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis was made from blood tests.  I have medicare and blue cross blue shield insurance coverage for medical and prescriptions.  It has been almost one full week and the pharmacy has yet to receive prior authorization approval for reduced price of methotrexate.  Has anyone in this discussion forum had the same problem purchasing methotrexate?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.