New to the Ruptured Achilles Club

Posted , 7 users are following.

Am new to the site following my rupture on Monday night last week (9th March).  I am 65 and have been active all my life until this happened.  Went to A&E straight away and got it diagnosed and after initially having it in a cast am now in the "moon boot".  I know that it will be some time but the research I have carried out so far is not very forthcoming in terms of the time scale of recovery and what I can do, if anything, while I have the boot on.  I need to get back to work ASAP but appreciate that age is not on my side.  Any advice out there?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was in a moon boot for 6 months but managed to stay mobile ,this didn't actually work out for me ,so I was in and out of casts for a further year and finally on the 4 march I had surgery ,the doctors said I will be on my feet within 9 months ,but its not the same for everyone, I hope your recovery will be much quicker ,keep us updated good luck
    • Posted

Yes my research has thrown up a wide variety of problems for different people and it seems that you are either lucky or not.  The big debate for me seems to be whether you are advised to go for surgery as against not.  The recovery time span is supposed to be the same but I suppose you just have to follow the doctor's advice and be sensible.  Anyway my granddaughter thinks the boot is 'ace' and is keen to keep sitting on it!!  Any will keep you all updated and thanks again for the info 
  • Posted

65  here, and got a partial rupture, left tendon last September (just before 65th!) Was off work for 4 weeks, NO WEIGHT bearing (or as little as sensible). Partial weight bearing for the next 5 weeks, and the company lent me an automatic to drive for commuting. Lots of foot wiggle and gentle stretching with bungee cords. End november out of the boot, physio and exercises and back to a manual car.  Mid december back to the gym. January I could walk a couple of miles, and I'm now up to 5 or six miles. No pain, but the calf muscle is still weak as an internet kitten and I can't do a toe stand on it yet. I don't know if its becasue i did as  consultant said, ie crawl around on hands a knees for the first month, and be careful. I did take boot ff for a good scratch! If you google "achilles tendon worcester" it gives a good pdf document guide to recovery. Foot is still a bit numb from nerve damage, and still swollen a bit if i sit still. Walking with a bit of limp if i dont pay attention. Saw a podiatrist (NHS refferal) as there was some evidence of foot arch problem; walking with support now,

Hope that helps; but i'm afraid its a long tedious process. Don't dispair, it does get better!

• Posted

Brilliant Tim. That's great and relevant - especially the age bit.  Will download the document. Much appreciated and good luck with yours.
    • Posted

I can also endorse the "Limbo Waterproof products;" the only way to have a shower with the boot on IMO. I ordered the full leg one and it was there the next day, but i had to get an extra wide fit by return to go over the boot; if you contact them, say its for use with a moon boot!
    • Posted

Sounds like a plan.  Thanks for the suggestion - will act on it tomorrow
  • Posted

Hi Chris.

Sorry to hear of your injury hope you are doing ok.

My advise for you would be to stay positive as you know you have a long road ahead of you, but try not to look at it all in one go. I found if I looked towards each appointment a couple of weeks at a time it didn't seem so long!!

I know you will be in a rush to get back to normal but really take it easy. It is definitely worth getting the recover done slower but correctly. You wouldn't want a set back to makes the recovery longer.

How did you rupture yours then?

• Posted

Thanks for the input carolyn. really appreciated. Yes am getting into the "long haul" process but with age not on my side I was wondering if there was anything I could be doing now with regard to rehab
    • Posted

Hi Chris.

In regards to your rehab at this stage there is nothing that can or should be doing. Need too make sure all of the strands in the tendon are re attached so as little movement as possible.

• Posted

Hi Carolyn,

Yes thanks for that - running before walking again!!  Yes am realising that "less is more"  in the long run.  Good advice being taken.  All the best to you too

• Posted

And I found this forum REALLY encouraging through a long and tedious journey.

• Posted

Yes am obviously new to this forum but it sure helps with like minded people going through what you have and telling it how it is helps to focus the mind and put things in perspective.  Many thanks again
  • Posted

Chris did you have a complete rupture like mine or partial rupture because I no doctors have different opinions on how they deal with these injury s .

• Posted

Thanks for your reply mary. I did it playing table tennis which I have done for over 50 years now and have never had a problem with injuries ever. Just one of those things I guess.
  • Posted

Welcome to the elite club of "who kicked me in the ankle?" I had my surgery 7 weeks ago and just starting to go FWB (full weight bearing). My advise is: 1. Be careful not to reinjure by not doriflexing your ankle during recovery. 2. Follow the protocol they give you, including and especially Physical Therapy and of course keep your dressings changed as scheduled to avoid infection. PS: YOU DO NOT WANT AN INFECTION! 3. R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) is your daily routine! 4. Leave stairs alone for a long, long time. 5. Plan everything you do ahead, you know "measure twice, cut one" method. 6. Get a knee scooter vice crutches at first, it will save your shoulders and neck and you will get around practically seamlessly. 7. Get someone to be your help mate. 8. Start enjoying sitting, reading, computing, playing an instrument because it is going to be a long road my friend. I had a minimimally invasive surgery to repair my ruptured (complete) achilles tendon and it is great! It is called Athrex PARS surgery that I had in Jacksonville, Florida. I was on meds only 2 days, but you will likely experience a long term period of inflammation (swelling) of the foot, especially the ankle and toes. Lastly, at the point of your recovery your in Physical Therapy your attitude will brighten up and your swelling and pain will subside quickly, so be pro active. This is the phase you will need to work hard and have some pains, but this is also the time you are most susceptible to rerupture, so be Careful my friend. Take Care and have a speedy recovery!
    • Posted

Cheers, thanks for all that.  Slight difference in that I wasn't recommended surgery for mine but I know the recovery will be just as long.  And talking of 'long' yes I appreciate we are talking a very long recovery to possible full working. Am just concentrating on getting back to work and will obviously follow the advice given.  Common sense is something I do have a lot of and I am in this for the long haul. Thanks for your support and hope your recovery also continues. Chris
    • Posted

Did you get any self injecting anticogulants? I had a 4 week course when i was immobilised, presumably to minimise the possibilty of clots. Was quite weird, but not sure if it was an age thing or just my consultant being picky

• Posted

I'm having a daily jab in the belly for the next 6 weeks I was told it was to thin the blood ,since taking them I get very light head and get dizzy spells something I need to address with the doc ,unless this is the norm
    • Posted

I had to self administer mine for 4 weeks; no discomfort at all, just very strange sticking a needle in myself :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.