New to this forum with concerns

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi to all of you

I had a cold a few weeks ago which left me temporarily with what I can best describe as a rushing wind or flowing blood congested type sound in my left ear particularly when I stood up or bent over, it wasn't there constantly. I now have a full / plugged up feeling in my ear that gets worse through out each day. Lying down can ease it just a bit. I had a doctor look in my ear and tell me that she could see a "film of fluid behind my eardrum" yet when I saw an audiologist yesterday who performed one of those tympanometry tests on me she said it came back clear !! Not making much sense to me so I have booked in to see an ENT in a few days time. My ear has been blocked like this twice before due to a cold but cleared up quicker than this episode. The ear is sensitive to loud noise too. I'm confused and anxious just now. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gabby,

This is a common occurence for some people after having a cold.  Try inhaling hot water with possibly methol in the water with a towel over your head.  This will need to be done for at least 20 minutes.  Or try a decongestant tablet from pharmacy.  Mucus is obviously stuck in your sinuses and your eustachian tube isn't opening for drainage.....could take a while to clear.  Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks Anne. I'm just concerned whether this is actually ETD ~ I've had it twice before in the same ear but this is taking longer. I pray the cold hasn't done any damage to my hearing.

• Posted

I experienced this EXACT same thing. I actually saw an ENT earlier today and definifely put my mind at ease. Eustachian tube disfunction is what he said it was.

2 weeks ago I had a cold/sinusitis. As soon as I felt better, I felt pain and pressure in/around both ears. I thought it was an ear infection! My doctor said it wasnt an infection and referred me to ENT.

So the ENT i saw today said: When we're sick we produce alot of mucus. Sometimes when we blow our nose, we blow so much that the surrounding tissues in the nose will get swollen. This includes eustachian tube. When the tube is swollen, it causes mucus/fluid to be trapped. Which is why you feel the fullness.

How to get rid of it? My ENT said do nothing!! That it isnt anything to worry about and it will drain on its own, usually a week or so. But if you HAVE to take something, he suggested sudafed to speed things up.

What worked for me: After feeling pressure in my ear for 2 weeks, Ive finally found relief. I did a few things. I drank alot of hot tea to help thin out the mucus. I layed my ear on a heat pad for 20 mins. This helps relieve pain and helps get the fluid to start draining. I also gently massaged around the ear. A few hours ago I felt a weird sensation in my ears. It started feeling really full like fluid was accumulating. Next i feel it moving down to my throat! I knew at that point it was draining. Finally! Not sure of it was those things i was doing that helped it or if it just happened on its own time.

So definitely see an ENT because they can diagnose you better. But yours definitely sounds like What i went through.

• Posted

They told me retracted eustatian tube. Since april. Had a couple,of sinus infections that did it. I hear sonogram like sound, hard to describe, sound sensitive, feel vibrations..its awful! Pressure too so i blow thru my nose to open tubes. Just tinnitus sounds and sensations are maddening at times. Ents dont really do much for this stuff.  Dont know if anyone does. He said it would take a long time to heal. Inflammation can do it doesnt have to be fluid. Horrible stuff  😩

• Posted

Morning Lisa,

I feel for you as this is such a horrible condition.  If you've read my story on this subject, I've suffered since the 80's.  Ask your doctor to prescribe Flixonase nasules.  They are steriod based and help with inflammation and help dry up mucus and open eustachian tubes.  Can  be a 6 weeks course.  If you are given them hang head over bed to put up nostrils, and lie there for a few minutes.  I found these really helped me.  My ENT consultant first put me on these years ago, and when my ears become bad through eustachian dysfunction, plus sinus issues and allergies I use them.  At the moment I'm using Flixonase Qqua spray  and finding it brilliant and haven't had blocked ears in five weeks....the longest I've ever gone without problems.  I also get poylps up my nose that causes breathing problems due to allergies and these steriod based sprays help to shrink them.  My smell and taste has returned too after almost 20 yrs being without these senses.  Good luck and hope everything settles down soon.

Regards Anne

• Posted

Hope you are better.  It took two months for my ETD to go away.  Dr prescribed Mucinex 600 mg and Zyrtec once a day.  Not sure if that is what fixed me or just the passing of time...

• Posted

Hey, I think this is also what I'm suffering from.  While I've had similar symptoms that have been discussed on this thread, i also suffer from mild headaches.  Anyone else?

My doc prescribed sudafed/flonase for 10 days and then to come back and check to see if that's helped.

• Posted

Do you mean Flixonase Joe ?  If the blocked ears are bad the Flixonase Nasules are better to clear them rather than the Aqueous Spray.  I can't use Sudafed, can't sleep when I take them.....they are a decongestant, so may help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.