New to this..would appreciate advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 42 year old male and I have been experiencing some unusual pains in my upper abdomen, middle of my sternum and towards the bottom of my right rib cage. It switches sometimes to either side of my chest.

I also burp...a lot, and while I do not have trouble swallowing, It always feels like there is a lump in my throat. My stool is a normal color and I have experienced no sudden weight loss or loss of appetite.

I used to be a heavy drinker and have only quit smoking after 20 years a few months ago.

I had an echo a couple years ago and there were no sign of heart disease. Last week I had a chest X-ray, ekg and an abdominal ultra sound and none of them came up with anything.

I normally would not be so worried, but my grandfather on my mother's side died of esophageal cancer at the age of 53 and he was a heavy drinker.

I suppose any information, additional tests I should look into or maybe just someone to tell me I'm crazy would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you are worried just explain your concerns to your doctor and request an endoscopy just to be sure.

It doesn't sound like anything serious but it's always wise to discuss your concerns with the doctor and have everything checked for peace of mind.

Make the appointment today. :-)

• Posted

Thank you..yes I am making a follow up appointment with my gp on Monday and will go from there. Mybwife thinks I am crazy but I can't help but be worried.

• Posted

Hey, I get it. I joined this forum because I was out of my mind with worry about my mother. She was waiting for an endoscopy because of trouble swallowing and a feeling of a lump. I got myself worked up and convinced she was very sick... Turns out she just had scarring from acid reflux and a hiatus hernia.

So I understand what it's like to worry. And I also know the diagnosis is more often than not something treatable.

Try relax and enjoy your weekend and I'm sure your doctor will put you at ease. :-)

• Posted

Pains can transfer elsewhere through the nerve system - transferred pain - so the source can be difficult to sort out.

?There is something going on in your stomach to cause the burping.   Have you had a history of heartburn in the past?   Reflux can change the nature of cells in the oesophagus to protect against the pain of heartburn, but this process does take a number of years, but this is only relevant to Barrett's Oesophagus.

?The lump in your throat might be a bolus / nerve reaction, but might be a lump as well.   I suggest going to the doctor and ask for an investigation.   Oesophageal cancer is 70% adenocarcinoma these days, which is not particularly related to drinking, whereas squamous cell carcinoma (30%) is quite often linked.   There is a certain amount of genetic influence on oesophageal adenocarcinoma (a proportion, not entirely) so if you mention the family history I think the doctor should send you for an endoscopy.    There are some further details on the website of Action Against Heartburn. 

?This is non-qualified speculation of course, and your doctors are best placed to investigate / diagnose anything.   It is really good that you have given up smoking, which is probably the single best thing you could have done for your health.   So do not panic as it may not be anything sinister.

?You could try over-the-counter Gaviscon  to test whether this makes a difference to your stomach.   Not as a permanent solution, but if it has beneficial effect, your doctor will be interested. 

• Posted

Thanks so much...this really helps. I don't think I have had chronic heartburn in the past, or maybe I have and just did not notice it or assumed it was normal.

Either way, the excessive burping that accompanies these other symptoms has always lead me to believe it's stomach related, but with my ultra sound reading as, by all accounts, normal, I just don't know what it could be.

• Posted

One of the signs of oesophageal cancer can be persistent hiccups. So you are right to continue to seek tests for a diagnosis. NICE guidelines on Dyspepsia and GORD (reflux) do cater for endoscopy for unresolved heartburn and other symptoms regardless of age (the criterion is over 55 for suspected cancer). So it may well not be cancer of course but you do need the check.
    • Posted

I don't hiccup at all..I mean, I do, but not chronically. As I stated, it's excessive burping mostly.

• Posted

Hi Kevin please go to your doctors. They will run some bloods and ask them

To refer you for a endoscopy. As you have said you are burping lots, don't be fobbed off by the GP with omeprozole, or lansoprazole. Just ask for the endoscopy. I don't want to worry you, but please don't delay.

• Posted

Yes they ran blood work and everything came back OK, though I am unsure if they actually check for anything serious with that.
    • Posted

Yes they would of done s CBC complete blood count. Well I would still press on with a scope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.