New to Tietze's

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've just returned from my GP with a diagnosis of Tietze's Syndrome / Costochondritis. After reading through some of these posts i really feel for people who've been dealing with this for so long! I've had it for over a week now and already im starting to feel desperate for some relief!

Apart from suffering from neck and back pain my entire life, nothing in particular bought this on - I just woke up with it one day and thought it was the way I slept. It happened twice after that but went away in a day or two. This time it seems here to stay and is very painful around my shoulder and upper chest on the right side. My neck and back of my shoulder are also extreemly painful. Ibuprofen and paracetamol dont seem to be helping and im not keen on taking so many pain killers. I find it's at its worst at night when trying to sleep and i cant concerntrate at work or in daily tasks because of the pain. It also makes me feel nautious.

I'm sure there's many suggestions in here but im quite overwhelmed, but is there any suggestions for reasonably quick relief? I understand this type of condition may take time to heal, but what can I do in the mean time to help with the discomfort?

My GP siad to stretch and exercise but some people have said this makes it worse.. plus exercise is the last thing i feel like doing right now!

Has anyone had good results seeing a chiropractor, physio or osteopath? If so whats the difference and which is better? I just dont know where to start!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Finally, I'm seeing my chiropractor, twice a week, it's helping, but the treatment is painful and I get heart palpitations. Mine is not labelled as tietzes, mine is labelled as costochondritis, they are the same, Costo without swelling, though. Osteopath didn't help in my case, she just held some fingers against my back when I was lying down on my back. Chiro is really hands on, he makes my rib case moving again.
  • Posted

Hello maree I was diagnosed with costochondritis as well bout 2 months ago I've been dealing with the best way I can when I first felt the pain I was at work and I got a real sharp pain in my shoulders I have never herd of this before hand so I went to the hospital they ran test ekg blood work and chest xray at first I thought it was something really serious but I have found some relief not much but some I take fish oil every day and it helps with the inflammation a lot I also found that ice really helps a lot I hope this helps you some feel better your not alone out there with this problem
  • Posted

Hi i was diagnosed with tietze's syndrome myself around 6 weeks ago i have been suffering with it for around 8 month with maybe a respite period of a few weeks i was give co-codamol and ibuprofin by my doctor but they dont help. i also suffer with massive anxiety due to the pains do you get anxious with it at all if so how do u manage it? X
  • Posted

Hi, I suffer from severe anxiety, too. Even if I know it's Costo, I think it's more severe, especially when I get fever. My chiro tries to convince me that it is Costo giving the fever and palpitations. He says he has several patients with this syndrome and theses symptoms. He has had Tietzes himself when younger. So I should believe him. I'm pretty ok at nights, daytime is the worst for me. It easies throughout the evening, probably due to that the anxiety eases a bit at that time of the day for me. Yes, it's a nasty condition and definitely worsened by stress.
  • Posted

FOLLOW THIS BIT OF MY EXPERIENCE; years ago..I HAD PAINS AND DISCOMFORT ABOUT MY RIGHT SHOULDER--BUT  IT SEEMED LIKE IT WAS  ''INSIDE'' THE SHOULDER/UNDERTHE SHOULDER..''COMMING FROM THE INSIDE'' , as it were...  ALL MDs SAID FROM STRAIN TO ARTHRITIS.....OR DON'T MOVE THAT WAY......

A MONTH OR SO LATER--I HAD A 100 % SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX (collapsed lung)...!   

SO WHEN I HEAR OF INDETERMINANT PAIN THAT SEEMS TO BE IN OR ABOUT THE UPPER CHEST/ SORT-OF  ''INSIDE''   ..A CHEST X-RAY WITH A COMPETENT RADIOLOGIST WOULD BE  VERY WISE.

I AM FINDING SO MANY DOCTORS WITH ''LIMITED EXPERIENCE''  IN THE USA .. FREIGHTENING !

GOOD LUCK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.