Posted , 14 users are following.

So I have a total right hip replacement on January 4th. I find I get tried very easy i hope that is normal? My pain medication is driving me crazy and making me itch really bad, I called the doctors office and they assured me that was normal, had any one experienced this? Also I get muscle cramps and spasms in my operated leg, which makes it hurt is this normal? When I do walk I can feel tiny pops, it does not hurt but it's that normal too. My leg feel so heavy and awkward and it is hard to do anything with. Just want others experince, wanting to make sure this is all normal and expected. Trying to do day by day.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is all normal and part of the healing process. You will improvement at 2, 3,4,5,6 weeks and at 3 months. Takes about a year to totally heal. You will get there. Follow directions a ddo your exercises as prescribed. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Newbie. I had my op on Dec. 7. My surgeon told me at the beginning I would be tired for a month. Part of it blood loss and the other is a function of healing and a very big operation. As far as the itchiness, I had it too. Went off pain meds because I didn't need them and took antihistamines. Talk to your doc. We are learning to move with new parts after a big surgery. I was counselled by a wise physiotherapist to take my time do my exercises and rest.

Be easy on yourself. It's not a contest. Ask for help. Talk to doctors and the people on this forum. It's very helpful

• Posted

Hi Newbie! Be patient! The first days are very difficult, but gradually as the weeks go by you will improve a little bit every day. I had THR on my left hip a year ago. I have no pain anymore and walk quite normally. It was the best decision I have ever made to have this operation! Just follow your doctors orders, do your exercises and be patient. Good luck to you 😊 ??. Happy new year with a brand new hip!!

• Posted

Yes all totally normal . I itched so much first few days I had to take anti allergy pills .. it was the spinal and the painkillers but it went after about 5 days. Leg feels like lead for ages plus spasm etc all normal . X
  • Posted

The medication is heavy and necessary for the early stage...as soon as you can, get off the heavy stuff (I assume you're on a narcotic - the itch is normal if so)...when you can possibly stand it, get on tylenol (extra strength if necessary) or whatever your doctor recommends...the leg issues are likely normal but I'd also ask about the popping thing in the leg. There's a LOT of heavy meds in you for a while yet - and as they come out, you'll feel a lot of creepy stuff. I hope you;re on a blood thinner - that's the scary thing until you're more able to mi=ove around more. Best wishes for a full recovery! 

• Posted

It's only been five days so being tired is expected. Your leg will feel heavy for another week. For me after three weeks I was walking fairly normal using a cane and started working from home and was back to work on week four. I started on Motrin after I was released from the hospital, had a bad reaction from the narcotics when I had a shoulder replacement. I had both shoulders and right hip replaced and may have my left hip replaced in April.

I would bet that by the end of week three you will notice the difference like night and day. Do your physical therapy. Don't worry about the popping, I didn't have it but know others that had it and now their fine. It will probably happen once and awhile for the rest of your life but it's usually not an issue.

Youll be doing great in three to four weeks.

• Posted

Hi Karatebob. I'm fascinated by the answered I'm reading by most other people here concerning the recovery times. You stated that you were back to work in one month's time! It took me a good 4 months to be able to return to work (security officer reception office position) and after 1 year I now feel quite well. Although my left leg is still noticeably weaker. I exercise faithfully and follow doctors instructions to the book. However, would you tell me which procedure your doctor used in your operation? Was it the one where the muscles were pulled aside and then the bone was cut, or the operation where the muscles were completely cut through and then everything sewn back together? I had thick wire stitches in my wound for over a month.

• Posted

My doctor entered from the side and cut muscles. I credit my forty plus years in martial arts for my quick recovery time. I was out blowing snow within two months and slipped on ice landing directly on my right buttock - operated side - I laid there for a minute thinking about it and got up and kept going with no issues. As long as the surgery was routine, I think in my case mental attitude was what determined my recovery time. I will be getting my other hip replaced later this year. That will make four joint replacements. Sounds like you are doing good now so keep up the workouts.
    • Posted

That's interesting. I had a similar remarkable recovery from the hip. No pain at all, and felt just fine from the get go. Also fell at two weeks post op and no problem. I had 40+ years of judo, eventually having to stop when the arthritis got bad (landing on a mat not being recommended treatment, I am told!) then took up yoga to retain flexibility. I also think that the martial arts, and the discipline / attitude is a big factor. Now need my ankle sorting though, so unfortunately not as mobile as I would like with the hip. So converted my dining room into a mini gym and keep on going !!!

• Posted

My daughter did a lot of martial arts,taught a lot.I must admit I loved watching her go through those paces.Once a boy ,who had already really hurt her and raked her shirt down and exposed her breast started to pick on her again.It was witnessed.She kept trying to walk away from him.She told her to leave her alone and he kept physically harassing her.She made 1 move and he fell back and snapped his head back.Now this boy who harassed the heck out of her had gotton in no trouble though she had gone to the office with witnesses.My husband talked to her teacher,the principle and the APS security.It was reported and documented,they kept him in at recess,they were in the 5th grade.She got in all kinds of trouble for using that 1 martial arts move on him.My daughter said she tried to avoid him but she was not going to allow him to hurt her again.The power of your muscles with martial arts are awesome.Im not surprised you did so well.That boy that hit and harassed my daughter got ejected from the school for repeated violence against girls.I told my daughter to be proud that the documentation she and her Dad had completed is what was cited to demonstrate a history of behavior.That there was power in the action of the documentation and the system did work.He never messed with her after her defensive move.My daughter has done well.
  • Posted

Jan 4th - that's only 6 days! Unless you meant 2016. You will still be tired from the anaesthetic and the fact that the body is still in shock. 3 weeks is the minimum to get through this very basic starting phase.It might help you to search on "what to expect after hip replacement" to give you some idea of time scale. As far as painkillers go I think it is up to you. I refused morphine as when I had a knee op. it had given me excruciating stomach pain as bit like gallstones in a different place, and made me sick. I managed with the basic over the counter stuff right from the start but i DID take 4 weeks of the medication prescribed for DVT so you need to know which medication is for what purpose especially with the cramps.

• Posted

I had my surgery January 4th 2016. Yes I'm taking a narcotic called oxycoden a stool softener and aspirin for blood thinning. My surgeon went in the anterior aspect. Said everything came out good. He mentioned my femoral head looked abnormal and that i had a lot of cartilage damage and arthritis, with dysplasia. I tried too look up what to expect after a total hip replacement, but i know it is different for everyone. There is NO leg diffference thank goodness. He also did not use stitches or staples but disovable stiches and glue and butterfly stitches. My inisicion looks like its about 6 to 7 inches in leghten. The first couple days home i ran a low grade fever, but it soon went away. I don't work, I am a full time college student, I took this semester off. The only pain I have I have it this cramping, spasms pain in operated leg. My leg feels heavy and weird. I had general anaesthesia. I find my self getting tired easily. I was able to take a shower which felt nice. I changed my bandaged, there is slight bursing. How long should I expect the cramps and spasms and the pulling sensation? Sometimes it aches and feels like it is to the bone. I'm the end I'm happy with it and can do things I haven't been able to. How long does the leg feel week or hard to move?

• Posted

I had my THR on December 21, 2016 three weeks ago.  I was having the spasms and legs twiched  a lot  at night.  However all that seems to be going away now.  I have returned to work which is helping to raise my energy level.   
  • Posted

Hi. Leg spasms and heavy feeling is normal. Everything is healing and muscles are weak as a baby's. I can only say do yr exercises. In the first few weeks I did those first exercises at least twice a day. It's amazing how things improve as time goes on.

Good luck.

Also. Try with less painkillers if you can. Mess react badly with me. I ditched all of them except panadol by week 2. Felt much better within myself.

• Posted

Linsey,

Welcome to the forum, and your new life with a new hip.  I have had most of those symptoms, but gradually, very slowly, you get better.  

Itching due to pain medication your body isn't used to, muscle cpamps and spasms, and 'concrete leg'.  

See my website for common experiences and tips from hippies on this forum, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.