Newbie and scared of sides

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I have RA, OA, Spinal Stenosis and some inflammatory Auto Immune issues. I take Norco. I take a low dose cause don't want to be too dependant, doc suggested I try Gabapentin. I am scared to start it, it still is sitting on my counter staring at me...lol...I have had an anti depressant once in my life when they mis diagnosed Sinus Tach, and had the biggest anxiety attack ever after one dose. I refuse to do Cimbalta. They told me back then I reacted to to the anti depressant due to the sinus tach I have (and palps), so now the gabapentin, similar type thing, I do not have seizures, I'm not depressed, should I risk trying it for pain? I know it helps nerve pain, but does it help arthritis pain which is actually joint related, and I assune the nerve pain could be coming from the spinal stenosis and disc issues.....just afraid of a repeat of a drug not made for me. Anyone here have arthritis and back pain that gabapentin is doing the trick?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Ive just been prescribed Gabapentin for osteoarthiritis of spine and like you Im worried about side effects and quite scared to take them.However Im going to give them a try. Ive been sensitive to medication a couple of times in the past so think thats where the fear comes from. The gp told me to build it up very slowly so you can monitor it better and look out for any extreme side effects.Im sorry to hear all that you have wrong with you. You must be in a lot of pain. Just wanted to say good luck if you do take it. Ive met a few people who have taken it and not been able to tolerate it but also know someone who takes it and gets great relief from nerve pain.Everybody is different but I feel its worth a try. Maggie
    • Posted

yes Maggie, I agree, I have had bad reactions to meds in the past as well. I already take a med for the RA, (although I have had it cut in half from some health lifestyle changes) then Norco for pain (which I also cut in half cause I just don't like "needing" it) and 2 others I  have taken at night for the last 20 years for sinus tach (very minor issue) so more meds...ugh...just don't like it. A lot of meds will act in reverse for me, like a pill that makes most sleepy will cause me anxiety instead. I also don't think meds for depression should be perscribed for people WITHOUT depression (had a very bad reaction once when younger when they had mis diagnosed the sinus tach and gave me an anti depressent) and Gabapentin is an anti seizure med, and I don't have seizures....I do understand through time they can find other uses and reactions for meds, and I believe Gabapentin has been around a long time....but still....this morning however as I turned my head and a wrench pinch nerve hit the neck, I looked at that bottle of Gabapentin still sitting on the counter saying "come on sher, give it a go" lol....I will probably try it. But I will totally be starting very low and going very slow. I have tried Mobic, but I get rapid h/r and terrible headache (sad cause it really worked on the arthritis) and motrin of course eventually starts to hurt the tummy. So besides just "dealing" w/ the pain, may give it a go....tell me how you do. thank you for responding
  • Posted

Hi there. Just wanted to tell you I am now on 900mg Gabapentin a day and getting great relief from pain. Also going to physio and have joined a pain course so all positive stuff. Did you get on ok with the gabapentin yourself?
  • Posted

Hi Sherry sorry to hear about your situation. Im suffering from fibromyalgia, migraines and muscle damage. I take Gabepatin. and vitamins now. Lately I've been feeling funny, my head been feeling weird and I have a strange pain in.my back on the left side. Im.always tired. Everytime I get behind the wheel of my car my brain starts to hurts..Its like I cant functions. Just asking for some advice.
  • Posted

I have osteoarthritis in back, hops, knee and now neck. I get a lot of nerve like pains in my back so tried Gabapentin. It seemed to work at a lower dose for a while and then didnt. Dr upped it and upped it til I was on the max doseage but it didnt work for me. I had no side effects apart from dry mouth but weaning myself off it was an absolute nightmare. Took 5 months and a lot of pain. Lost 2 stone and looked terrible. Couldnt eat, flu symptoms, insomnia and restless legs. So scarred by it all that I have stopped all meds and am pputting up with the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.