Newbie with embarrassing digestive issues

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I've been on gabapebtin since summer of 2014. I started off slowly, finally had my herniated disc repaired and I'm still on the gabapebtin but now at a high dose. I'm currently taking around 3000mg a day. I JUST recently started getting diarrhea. It's awful, embarrassing. No changes in my diet. But I have read in other places that gabapebtin may be the issue. Has anyone else had loose stools with gabapebtin.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That is a very high dose .  Is it for the pain ? I found out that gaba. really does not help pain that well any ways.....I've read only 18% really get a good benefit from pain relief.......anyhow  most meds are going to cause bosel upset and diahrea and the highter the dose.....the worse...........sorry...not much you can do about it.

• Posted

Yes it's for chronic back pain from a herniated disc (post laminectomy 2014) and now from what the pain clinic thinks is my Psoas muscle. I'm done with this med. I'm going to wean myself off of it. Jim, I did recently learn (when I went to the pain clinic) that Gabapentin pretty much stops working at a certain dose. And you're right it's ridiculously high dose for me to be taking. My body has just adjusted to it so I took more and more. My pcp said she's not concerned with how much I took so I went to town. Now I'm realizing (and I should know better) that prescriptions are handed out way to liberally in my honest opinion. Well let's hope it's the Gab and nothing more serious. Thanks !!

• Posted

I wonder if you are getting a whole host of adverse reactions ? I Did.  I was taking about 1200/mg of gab. per day for 4 years. At first It seemed ok . (my neurologist Rx'd it for RLS or neuopathic pain ) It' seemed to aleviated the symptoms a bit but not really that well. The worst were the side effects...dizzininess, headaches, depression, agitation, hostility, anger......balance problems.... confusion and mental dullness.......the list goes on !  I finally got off of it completed about 2 months ago....but it took me 4 months to gradually taper off to nothing......there were some withdrawal symptoms....mainly agitation, nervousness, shakiness......but now all that is gone......I'm so glad to be free from it.........I got my life back now.....I'm happier and feel so much better.....no more depression from it either !!   Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.