Newly diagnosed and concerned

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with mild uc / proctitis after having blood and mucus for 4 months almost 2 weeks ago and put on asacol suppositories 500mg once a day .I ve been using them for the past 12 days and did notice less symptoms almost immediately but I do still get a little blood and mucus randomly. Am I expecting too much too soon or am I not on a high enough dosage ? I'm still waiting for my follow up appointment with my consultant which I'm told could be a few weeks yet.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I think 12 days may be too soon to tell and as you say you have noticed a difference which is really positive, so definitely looks like it's going the right way. I would say just keep up with the suppositories and see how you go.

Just out of interest is there an IBD nurse linked to your clinic, they are quite helpful when your not sure what to do and you don't have an appointment with your consultant for a while.

Hope you see an even greater improvement. 😀

• Posted

Hi thanks you for your reply. I really wasn't sure what to expect as nobody explained anything. I'm really not sure about an ibd nurse there was certainly no mention of one .

Thanks again

Michelle

• Posted

Early days. Suppositories didn't work for me. I only started getting better with the steroid foam. Definitely speak to the nurse.

• Posted

Michelle, My advise is this......Do not become a prisoner of the momment. UC is a chronic disease 90% of the time.  If your seeing an improvement, congrats! When I say chronic for 90% that are, their life is never the same as pre-uc. Take an athlete who tears their knee. Besides a rare few, Adrian Peterson....Many do not come back as strong as they once were( See Jamaal Charles this year ).....and tbh, that mentally is hard to accept, which creates anxiety. So what I am saying is, don't be a prisoner of rash thoughts/decisions. UC is probably chronic, unless it's the rare 10%. Chronic does not mean it's there all the time....It can be gone( remission ) for 6 months or several years....then boom. 

A little blood in the stool is nothing, you have UC, that is a symptom of it. So go to your follow up and address it there, until then, stop worrying is my advise. A little blood is normal. In fact, a lot of blood is a symptom of UC, so a little,is better than a lot. I would be concerned with, how many BM's do you have a day...less or more? Can you eat at the same level or even more? If you movements per day have been less and you can eat better....then a little blood is just a symptom of an already dxed UC. So if you have gotten better in BMs per day and can eat at a nice healthy level.....if those two have improved, short term, your winning! 

As to the effect is that enough? Such is life, when it comes to meds, more does not mean better results. I am just trying to put things in perspective for you bc I know UC can effect us mentally and emotionally and our thoughts can wrapped up. Just know this....if your Bms are down and you can eat at a healthy level.....a little random blood....yes you should address it, but your winning, and in 12 days. 

Anytime you want to talk, or anyone on UC FB is Rick Bitty.

-Kent State University Alumni

-GL

• Posted

Thank you . To be honest there was never an issue with BM'S if anything I have more constipation and always had just blood and mucus no pain or loose BM'S which was why it was such a shock

Thanks again

• Posted

Mild uc is easy to control.,but this may need time for you to settle. What normally happens is a course of steroids reduceing down week by weeks for about six weeks then a daily dose of ASA like pentasa from there on to keep it at bay. It's normal to get some blood from this

• Posted

Recently I discovered something new. My proctitis flared up after a course of antibiotics, and I started my research again. One cause related to taking vitamine B-complex, which aggrevated it, as before, so I stopped taking. Then something interesting happened. I stopped filling kettle from hot water tap, instead used cold water tap. Flare up stopped after two days!!!! I also stopped cooking using hot water tap. There were articles about polluted pipes (copper and lead) which dissolve contaminants with hot water.  But my hot water tank is stainless steel and my pipes are special rubber material as in most new housing. The report indicates contaminants from these pipes as well (cannot remember the name). So there must be something in the water. So I hope this helps.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.