Newly diagnosed and scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

Iv recently just befor xmas been diagnosed with a tiny amount of barretts ...

The consultant went through it with me in the room was ressuring that i  only  have a a tiny amount , i need to go on medication and then monitored 3 years .... i laso have a small hernia .

now im processing it all iv gone  into panic , i darent google .....

i have many questions ....

can i do anythimg to help this like change diet ? 

im only 43 and this has come as quite a shock ...

posotive replies only please as am very anxious today , many thanks  

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi and please have a happy new year. I was discovered to have a tiny amount of barretts cells this year although I knew I had a hernia and have been being treated for reflux for around 6 years. I am sure Barretts Wessex will respond to your message but let me reassure you with what I have learned. You will be monitored and on the slim chance that something changes to those cells they will swiftly reassess and get rid if necessary. It appears that lots of folk have these cells so surveillance is the best option. On my part I have tried to cut down on the wine and eating before bed is a no no. I know that things like garlic, pastry and tomatoes cause me heartburn so I have reduced my intake of them and especially tried to reduce any chance of reflux with both lanzoprazole and a better diet. The acid causes the changes so just look after yourself... And they are watching for you now so that is the best thing. I was as scared as you when they diagnosed Barretts. Go onto the Barretts Wessex website and look at their advice as that will help.
    • Posted

Thannk you Shellj iv been so scared , to scared to look stuff up ...to me all i see is the negative stuff so to find a support group that is posotive to woild be great .

i had side effects from omeprozol and now Lanzoprazol after just one tablet ...

so waiting to find one that suites ....will feel better once i do i hope...

• Posted

You will feel better....always aware of course,but be reassured by the help that is available if required. I think Barrets Wessex have replied to you with an offer of information. I looked and was helped by thei information.
    • Posted

thank you i shall take a look ....are you on there is it a forum 
    • Posted

Hello, I just found this forum today and found your discussion on Barrett's realy good because I have just been given the news that I too have the condition and now have to wait for about four weeks for the results , and as you can tell very upset and worried about everything , I know it's been a few months since you were on here but would realy love too here how you are now . Annie 😖
  • Posted

Hi,

I've just answered you on a different post.

Barrett's is a permanent chnage of cells in your oesophagus to protect it from the erosion that had occurred. This was due to acid refluxing usually exacerbated by a hiatus hernia. Dietary changes may help with the acid production but we are all different and react to foods differently.

The problem with Barrett's is the cells can mutate through stages of dysplasia to cancer. Those of us who know we have it (I've had mine at least 21 years), can receive regular surveillance every few years to make sure no changes have occurred and if any signs are seen, the Barrett's can be ablated to minimise any risk of the cancer developing.

Take a little time to follow the "Journey" presentation on the www BarrettsWessex org uk site to learn more about the condition.

• Posted

Thank you i will take a look , i am little scared to be honest i suffer with anxiety and since being told this diagnosis have been very bad , but i know i need to know the facts to help me gain control and keep myself as healthy as i can , so that may help my situation 
  • Posted

Hi no it is not a forum I don't think but they have an address to email for questions. They are not doctors but respond with advice.
    • Posted

Barrett's Wessex charity (which I co-founded and chair) manages the patient support for the national charity Barrett's Oesophagus Campaign (of which i am also a trustee).

There is an on-line forum (which I moderate and administer) which is linked to by a tab on the BW website.

• Posted

Thank you iv just taken a quick look , i will carry on , thank you for help im trying to take this all in 
    • Posted

Hello, I have just found this forum today and I have just been told I have the condition Barrett's after having a camera down and awaiting results in a few weeks , as you can amagen all sorts of thaught running through my mind and getting myself all worried wondering how the next weeks are going too be realy stressful 😪😪 any info about this condition you can help me with and to stop me feeling like I will go into panic mode anytime soon would be a great help . Annie .

• Posted

If you visit Barrett's Wessex website (link to the right or go to www BarrettsWessex org uk) and click on the Journey tab, you can be lead through an informative talk by one of our consultant gastroentertologists, "from diagnosis to treatment" that will give you an excellent primer.

If you wish to know more, click on the Down With Acid tab of the Barrett's Wessex site to go staight to the website / book that has been described as the definitive encyclopaedia about Acid Reflux, it's complications and management.

I have personally had Barrett's at least 22 years unchanged. When managed properly, you can usually forget about it bewteen your regular surveillance scopes every few years to reassure you nothing's changed.

• Posted

Hello .

Thank you for that advice I have looked on on the Barrett's web and  found it was very interesting ( never new this even existed the Barrett's condition ) but my head is all over the place at the moment with all stuff I'm reading about this condition , tried getting a doctors appointment to talk through things with my doctor but was told unless it's life or death I will have to wait a few weeks to see them 😓 But just need info from people , why does it take so long for the results to come back from the hospital ??? 😡 But will keep reading about the good responses on here to people's questions .Anne 

• Posted

It can take ages for results of ibiopsies. There aren't enough histopathologists and when you see what they have to do... Each biopsy is about the size of a grain of rice. It is set in a lump of paraffin wax and thnly sliced into hundreds of microscopically thin slices that all have to be examined under a microscope looking for the different marker cells.

If there's anything obvious like cancer, it is seen immediately. Generally if you have to wait a while, it's probably good news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.