newly diagnosed HSP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, reading some of your personal experiences is really scary of what could lay ahead for my 10 year old son. He was diagnosed 1 week ago but to date he just has the rash on bottom of his legs and an upset tummy. His joints are fine and urine checks all clear, although Bp is high. Do you think this is the most he may experience given that his rash is only in a small area and everything else is fine or am i being naive?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear your son has this diagnosis. Unfortunately, if you're only a week into it it is just the tip of the iceberg. sad I pray that it is a mild case but it took a few weeks before the full rash and continual tummy issues appeared. The bad part is there is nothing we can give them that will prevent the full on outbreak and the swelling and pain of the joints can be controlled with nsaids as long as the kidneys are not involved. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.

• Posted

The doctors recommend Naproxen since it is a 12 hour pain reliever and can help reduce swelling. Limit sodium intake and drink at least 64 oz of water daily. These things help as well as Benadryl and Caladryl for itching. I hope the best for you and your son!
  • Posted

Hi Leona,

I didn't quite understand when you said he urine was clear (perhaps I am not following the trail properly) for it to be HSP he would have blood in his urine. Well that is what I had always read.

There are other things that mimic HSP.

Kindest wishs,

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi lizzie,

My sons urine has always been clear - they have checked it 4 times in the past week. He has rash and stomachs pains so far but no blood in urine. Maybe its a mild case??

Leona

• Posted

Hi Leona,

As long as he is being seen by a Paediatric Consultant who knows about HSP. 

Bye,

Lizzie

• Posted

I am a registered nurse so I prepare for the worst and am pleasantly surprised if it turns out better. My daughter's initial flare up was at age 8 and was worse than her most recent flare up 6 years later around her 14th Birthday after a significant respiratory infection and lack of sleep. She did have an upset stomach but nothing too significant. The difference now is her rash would go away and then resurface over and over for about 2 and a half weeks. Her complaints of joint pain was in hands versus knees and ankles like the last time and her swelling was much worse in her hands this time around. My advice, be informed. Do research. If your child is like mine, they will try and dismiss symptoms as viral. Keep track of symptoms and potential triggers. Document everything...it will be easier for you to see patterns and report to doctor.

• Posted

Hello Leona  We are newbies, too, and were diagnosed with this on 4 November.  Never heard of it before.  Quite devastating.  We have had three really bad flare ups now.  Our son has been in Hospital twice and was almost admitted again today.  So sorry to hear your news.  He has blood in his stools, raised blood vessels [spots] and the most terrible sickness imaginable.  His urine was clear last week, but it had protein in it this week.  So unpredictable!
    • Posted

Isn't it just terrible how quickly things can change. My son has protein in his urine and very high blood pressure - which went down very slightly today. I hope your son is over the worse. Keep in touch - its good to keep track of other experiences.

• Posted

We had high blood pressure when the nurse called yesterday, but the she blamed it on the electronic machine.  We also had protein using the dip stick method, but when the sample when for analysis in the laboratory, it did not contain any.  I hope they are both over the worst.  Lack of appetite and not eating are our biggest worry now.  Lost over 4KG since 4 November.

• Posted

Our consultant recommended a childrens supplement called Minavex to help build my son up again as he also lost his appetite. It also helps with tiredness. Worth trying if hes not already taking anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.