Newly diagnosed HSV2. Boyfriend is HSV1??

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my doctor is 90% sure I have genital herpes. I had a swab done the 1st day of my outbreak, but the doctor did it incorrectly. SO my family doctor 4 days later (today) couldn't get a swab because I was mostly healed, but with all my symptoms and what she saw, she's extremely positive it's genital herpes.

so here comes the confusing part. It's an outbreak because of a recent exposure, which I definitely got from my boyfriend. He has a history of cold sores but hasn't had one in 2 years. So we figured he has Oral HSV1. I have genital herpes however... So that's usually HSV2. Can anyone explain how I possibly got Genital HSV 1? Is that even possible to have that on my genitals? Everything on Google is saying that's extremely uncommon. We are extremely confused.

I also had a UTI the same week as the outbreak. We had sex without a condom for the 1st time a week before the outbreak so we think that's when I contracted it but that doesn't make sense because he doesn't think he has genital herpes because he's never had an outbreak. Just cold sores. He's gone down on me since we started dating 4 months ago multiple times.

None of his previous partners ever had herpes or outbreaks. And they were extremely long relationships.

So why me and how?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, genital hsv1 is now quite common (I have it too). The virus can shed even when there are no physical symptoms, so it is very possible that his hsv1 was active without a physical coldsore.

Luckily, because hsv1 prefers to live on the mouth, this tends to mean fewer and less severe outbreaks!

• Posted

Thank you for your answer!

So you were diagnosed as type 1? And only have it as genital type 1?

Everything we googled said it was extremely uncommon! How did you contract the type 1 if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Not sure what you were looking at, but it is not uncommon at all. Most new infections reported on this forum alone are gHSV1, plus it's on the rise generally.
    • Posted

I got it from receiving oral sex from a guy with a coldsore! Yes, only genital hsv1! I tested negative for hsv2 and I don't have anything orally!
  • Posted

Adding to what bethan said, you can get gHSV-1 from oral sex by a partner who is shedding HSV-1 orally. Also, a pcr swab when lesions are healing should still pick it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.