Newly diagnosed w/ LupusHorrible shooting Pain!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am extremely desperate. The pain that I have been having the last couple of weeks is affecting my job, my friends, and even caring for my 12 year old. I have read were people are talking about being fatigued, swollen joints, fever, etc. I have none of this. My GP sent me to a rhemotologist and they tested my blood positive for Lupus. I am taking Cymbalta, prednisone 5 mg with the 4 day, 3 day, 2 day tapering method. Let me explain my pain. If you are a woman (or not) and wear a bra my right side on my back from my ribs on my side to the bottom part of my bra hits in the back, a inch or 2 under my shoulder blade. There is a constant dull pain but if I move my body in the wrong direction the pain immediately shoots from my side to the middle of my back, down my side, and under my breast. It has dropped me to my knees a few times. I can't sleep at night bc I can't move bc of fearing the shooting hot pain. Anxiety has set in bc of the anticipation of it happening. Could this be something else happening besides the Lupus? I haven't read anywhere of anyone having the same symptoms that I have. I am new to this so I'm not sure what to think. Any suggestions, thoughts, or anything I should suggest to my GO or rhemotologist? Please help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda I had a similar experience and the pain was finally diagnosed two years later as gall stones. I recently had my gall bladder removed and have not had the pain since. Have it checked out.
  • Posted

Hi,

It could be nerve pain. This is a classic area for Shingles to hit. And yes, you can have Shingles pain without the rash! Have you had Chicken pox, if so this is a likely answer as Shingles can manifest when an individual is 'low' as in an immuno-compromised condition. Lupus is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system goes a bit wonky and mad, and attacks itself and the body. It leaves the sufferer open to more infections than healthy people, and in this case a prior episode of Chicken pox in an immune system that is not functioning properly will allow the causative virus lying dormant in nerve endings to easily flare up as Shingles. 

It might be worth a trip to your GP/Doc to discuss this and perhaps get some anti-viral medications.

Best wishes.

• Posted

You're welcome, and I hadn't either in regard to a rash I get, despite being a nurse (!) but one of the GPs in my surgery thought this rash I get when the joint pain flares up might be a shingles rash. So I had a course of anti-virals and guess what..................................................... ..............................................................................................................?

Yup, no it wasn't a shingles rash, cue maniacal laughter HA HA HA HA HA, sorry, back to normal now. To be fair it was a good idea, just wrong in my case! I've since done some more research and it looks as if it might be hives (urticaria) and might be related to another autoimmune disease, namely Vasculitis. I've had other rashes which look like they belong to this disease so will discuss them with my Rheumatologist when I next see him.

Best of luck with your resolving your pain. 

• Posted

Hi Amanda - so sorry to hear about your pain.  Has a neurologist checked to see if this is a neuropathic pain of some sort?  At minimum a neurologist should evaluate you for any pinched nerves or spinal disc problems thru MRI. This sounds like nerve path causing these shooting pains when you move in certain ways.  i have been diagnosed with lupus 5yrs.after I presented with pain very much like yours but over my rt. abd. to rt. back that turned out to be a peripheral neuropathy of unknown origin but everything else had to be ruled out first by neurologists.  They very well may be able to help you.

Finally get yourself to a doctor that specifically deals with pain control.  If your pain has lasted over 3mos.there are meds other than narcotics that help severe pain.  They can help you to get sleep, control your pain without prednisone, and help with your depression and anxiety (and You have every right to have both).. Finally you have to be direct about your meds and treatment.  If a medication is not convincingly helping don't stay on it.  I've been on and off of Cellcept, plaquinal, and the IV meds.  Sometime the only thing that helps is Aleve.  

You poor girl!  You're going thru a terrible time!  You can write any time. 

• Posted

Wow!! Thank you for the replies. I didn't think I would get any and so I am just seeing them. I ended up having to go to the ER because of the pain. I didn't want to do this for fear of being labeled a drug seeker, but I actually hate pain meds. It doesn't take away the pain, it just makes my skin feel like play-doh lol. They tested blood, took x-rays and I had a CT-Scan. That was almost impossible bc I had to lift my right arm up over my head. The doctor barged in my ER room and poked and prodded on me and said, "ya probably got a pulled muscle. I'll give you a script for a muscle relaxer and pain relief." I stopped him and told him I have had pulled muscles before and this is definitely not it. He looked at me and said, well you're not going to die. Then walked out. I PROMISE he said that. So mad!! Well, the next day I was able to get in to see my rheumatologist. They took more blood and said, "Lupus is a funny disease." I told him I have had no rash, no swelling, nothing. So I am waiting to hear back from them about my blood work. I am friends with a highly respected neurologist here in Mobile so I am going to ask him what specialty should I try next. Once again, thank you for the great advice.

Would you recommend a heating pad or ice?? I'm desperate for some relief.

• Posted

Hi Amanda 

i have had torn ligaments, tendinitis, broken bones (probably from 15 yrs of pred.) and I've learned to use whatever feels better.  A lot of PT people will say cold first (cold is numbing and constricts bld vessels, keeping swelling down. Heat later brings bld flow to heal the injury

I am happy to hear that you will see/talk to a Neurologist!!  So sorry about the ER staff - they were really rude and you have every reason to be upset.  Never go to an ER with the hope of getting a diagnosis - they don't do a very good job at that part for difficult patients like those with lupus (don't forget, lupus causes problems in a lot of different ways).  The ER is the perfect place if someone comes in w/o a heart rate or if they've missing life or limb.

Good luck Amanda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.