Newly Diagnosed With Barrett's Oesophagus

Posted , 7 users are following.

After having reflux and pains in my throat and stomach for a long time my GP finally referred me for a Endescopy in January. The Doctor carrying this out said I had Barrett's Oesophagus and showed me some pictures. It is rather scary just how red and inflammed it looked. He asked me what medication I was on and I said Omeprazole (20mg) twice a day but I needed to take Rennies antacid tablets (orange) as well to help with the discomfort.

The Doctor told me to keep on with the Omeprazole as it is a precancerous condition and this would help. He also said I needed to have a endescopy every three years. I am finding that the omeprazole doesn't help when I have the discomfort and the only relief I can get is when I take the Rennies and sometimes Gaviscon. I am still taking the omeprazole as instructed (40g a day) but wondered if anyone else who suffers with this finds omeprazole ineffective or takes something else as well. I'm sure the prolonged taking of Rennies isn't good. 

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Brian

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A large red area in your scopes shows the inflammation caused by the excess acid. The Barrett's is a salmon pink - a shade somewhere between the red oesophagitis and the pale pink of the squamous cells. (Though Barrett's cells may be amongst the red oesophagitis.)

Omeprazole doesn't work as an antacid neutralising the acid on demand. It works pre-emptively to prevent the stomach creating too many proton pumps, thereby limiting the amount of acid the stomach can make.

40mg is the normal high dose and, if the daily regimen is upheld, should normally manage acid hypersecretion effectively. It can take a couple of weeks for the inflammation to recede.

In th emeantime, have you identified your own particular trigger foods to avoid? We are all different so react to foods differently. Keep a food diary to identify what foods cause you problems.

If you need to supplement, Gaviscon liquid is probably your best port of call. Not only does it neutralise on demand but it floats on top of stomach acid like a blanket to help reduce reflux and coats, temporarily, the oesophagus to help reduce attack.

Don't keep taking Rennie for a long period. I used to do that and ended up with kidney stones from too much calcium carbonate.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I will do as you suggest with the food diary. If I get stressed can this make the acid worse and therefore cause more discomfort ?  I find fruit juice always causes problems as does anything spicy. Thanks for the advice on the Rennies, I will stick with just the Gaviscon should I need it.

• Posted

Hi i am on lanzoprazole 45mg which is controlling my acid and on the rare occasions I get that horrible mouthful of acid I take milk and just try to calm down until the revolting taste has gone. I think the episodes of acute reflux are caused by my eating or drinking something that triggers an acid event and with a hernia also there , the acid can shoot up if it is there. I have tried to not eat or drink before bed although I do have a cup of decaf tea, and cut down on any triggers such as pastry , garlic (sadly) tomatoes and citrus fruits. I have a very calm diet and certainly never eat spicy stuff before bed. I think being stressed about the condition doesn't help... I also have some barretts and have found the advice of the Barretts web site quite comforting. I think if you do not regard your condition as " pre cancerous" in that you are sure to develop cancer , but as a condition that puts you at a higher risk of possibly developing cancer and look after yourself you may feel better. You will be monitored now so being watched is a comfort too.
    • Posted

Thank you shellj, that is very helpful. I tend to get more inflammation, heart burn and pains in my throat than i do reflux with acid coming back into my mouth. I do get this but not frequently. I am having trouble working out what i can eat and what I can't. I have avoided fatty and spicy foods and drink caffeine free tea anyway. I used to like coke (caffiene free) but heard that this should be avoided which reluctantly I am doing. I still get inflammation and pains most days though. So not sure what to avoid. I have another appointment with a doctor Tuesday so will discuss this further.    
    • Posted

I have just read from on another site that complications from Barratts can cause other issues such as Pnuemonia, or dizziness , ringing in the ears. Has anyone had experience of this ?  I constantly having ringing in my ears and suffer from bouts of dizziness and last year unexpectedly was hospitalised with pnuemonia. Thanks.  
  • Posted

Hey Brian,

I have Barrett's as well and my doctor has me on 40 mg per day as too, but I'm switching to 30 mg dexilant. I've great things about that drug. I have no dysplaysia and doctor says my barrett is average... whatever that means. Look we're human so the big dont's are no smoking, no fried or high fat food, little or no booze, no food 3 hours before lying down, elevate your bed just stick 3 pillows under the mattress that gives you 6-8 inchs and take your ppi's.

Anyway stay strong!!

• Posted

Research shows all PPIs are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent doses (see attached graphic) . The advice in UK is the cheapest effective and lowest effective dose for the shortest necessary time - which may be life for those of us with Barrett's.

Dexilant may be the newest (and most expensive) but is no better than the lansoprazole it is based on. It's release was actually probably a marketting ploy. It is not prescribed in UK. In US, some insurance companies won't pay for it.

• Posted

Hi Brian there are better PPI tablets u can try as Omeprazole doesnt work for everyone.  Im on Esomeprazole 40mg per day and seems to keep everything at bay for me. I have just been diagnosed with Barrett's Oesophagus, Haitus Hernia, gastritis, and Gord.  I have been told 2 years.  Ask gp if u can change yr medication. 

Hope this helps,

Kind regards

Dawn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.