Newly diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythaemia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythaemia and have to start on Hydroxycarbamide. Has anyone any experience of taking this drug and have you had any side effects? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi kizzi,

I've been taking hydroxycarbamide for 4 years, 1000/500mg alternate days with very little side effects. Some fatigue but whether that's from the drugs or the disease is open to plenty of debate! Dry skin occasionally. Your haemotologist will work out what strength is best for you to keep your platelets under control. It's very important to keep well hydrated, always have a bottle of water to hand. Hopefully you don't have too many problems with it, I know by looking online some people can tolerate it better than others.

I'm no expert about our disease but I hope I've helped you a little.

Take care now

Pat

• Posted

Thank you. I have been on it for a while now with no side effects - due to see haemo today so we'll see if it has made a difference.
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with ET in the summer, & have just found this site to chat with other sufferers.  I am taking hydroxy - how is it going for you?  What level are your platelets now?
    • Posted

Hi. It's all going very well. I now take 500mg Hydroxycarbamide for 6 days a week and 1000mg on 1 day. Platelets are now 433 so really good. No side effects from the drugs at all. There is also a very good Facebook page for ET - people from all over the world have joined. Hope it goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.