Newly Diagnosed with LS - Questions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a biopsy 1 week ago and sure enough it is LS. I have a minor case, white peri area only. No itching, just slight pain and skin splitting. I had a biopsy just to the side of peri and doctor left the area open. A week later and still a open hole. I'm freaking out if this will ever heal. I'm using Vaseline and showering daily, but I feel each day there is no change. Anyone else have an open biopsy site?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Schwe - don't panic it can take a while for the biopsy site to heal, mine was similar and did take about 3 weeks to properly close and heal.  It still gets a bit stingy there at times and I am 12 months down the track.  Personally I wouldn't be putting anything on it just leave it to heal naturally.  Keep up your hygiene routine and don't use any products down there - just warm clear water.  If you have any concerns in another 7 days then go back and discuss with your doctor for some reassurance and a check.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I spent another sleepless night last night worrying about this, and now face another 8 hour shift of walking! I am so happy to have found this site and you ladies! Warm water only from now on.
  • Posted

Make sure you wear cotton undies too and I use Hydromol in the shower and to clean myself all over - no perfumed bubble baths, shower gel - nothing at all.This I've done for over a year & my LS is much better now - hardly get any iching and few little sore sites , but hardly any splitting or white areas - so don't be too alarmed it can get  easier. I had an open biopsy too and it did heal after a few weeks. I only bathed it with very soft cotton clothe and dabbed dry & only used water - nothing else on it at all. I think your gynocologist is saying put vasaline on it as that acts as a barrier , especially when you wee. urine often irrates it more & can sting. Don't freak out you are now on the way to controlling it. Stress often makes it worse & I know it's a bit stupid to say don't worry - but don't! I've had it over 7 years & for over 2 it was undiagnosed ,so it was prettyn sore and painful when I first had a biopsy. I hardly have an issues with it now - so don't freak out just yet. Hope it heals soon x
    • Posted

Thank you so much. This site is so amazing and so happy to have found all of you. No more products for me! And another week of this is about all I can handle...I'll be calling the doc and heading back if still an issue next week. Thank you so much!
  • Posted

My biopsy was Thursday November 12, and is also still open, originally was about dime size and is shrinking. My gyn would not allow me to start the betamethasone cream until a full week later. I started doing the baking soda baths and putting a warm wet tea bag in the area twice a day, and it feels so much better. Still somewhat open but I do not feel pain from it anymore.
    • Posted

Hi Mary...thanks for reply. I feel like mine is getting bigger. I walk alot during day for my job. I've started using clobetasol but avoid that area. I'm looking forward to trying the baking soda, then next the tea bag! You are about 5 days ahead of me...hope to get to your shrinking state soon smile Thank You!!
  • Posted

I have had biopsys twice now. The first one was jan 2014 then again 2nd Nov 2015. Both times it took a long time to heal. The drs seem to think that you will be fine in a few days! Well the reality is 2-5 weeks. I always  wash after each bathroom visit and blw dry with a hair drier. I wouldn't put anything on it until it is fully healed but the tea bags, coconut oil and bicarb  really do help.
    • Posted

Thank you all very much. I'm heading for supplies!
    • Posted

Mercy 2-5 weeks!  Tomorrow will be my 3rd week past biopsy. It hurts after long days but boy sitting is worse than standing, so I find myself on my feet alot. Yes, baking soda baths, tea bags, really do work for me, and I do the baths 2x daily. Tell me more about the coconut oil, I bought some, just not sure does it go on after the betamethasone? How often, do I warm it up first to get it to soften?
  • Posted

Hello Schwe, I saw a gyno today who performed a biopsy. She said it looks like I have LS and my hubby (he went with me) thought she said I have a mild case? What is classified as mild or caught early? I wondered. How is yours now?
    • Posted

Hi there. I have white spots that don't itch only near my perineum area. I occasionally get minor tears in the perineum which responds to some Vaseline and rest. My biopsy area is still wide open, this coming Tuesday will be two weeks, but is showing signs of skin growth inside, but still hurts. I've been prescribed clobetasol and am using a small amount nightly. I'm hoping to get the biopsy site cleared up and continue with my cream. I'm now now using anything on biopsy site except warm water to clean it. I have no vulva involvement at this point and hope to keep it that way with the cream. How are you getting along?
    • Posted

I'm so pleased you went to the gynocologist with hubby and have the diagnosis now. So much better to know what it is as now you can start the right treat ment. If it's mild that is really good news as all those terrible photos on the internet you may have looked at are all really bad severe cases. You will be able now to stop it progressing & in some cases it even can clear , My mum had it from 28 and doesn't have it now - but she is in her 80's. Mine is much better now & hardly ever itches. Stress can make it worse , like many illnesses - so don't get too stressed.I  am so pleased for you & wish you well x
    • Posted

A little ray of hope, thank you Carol. I've had excema my whole life on my hands. So I guess this is a bit the same. Just in a different spot. I do think sex makes it much worse (haven't had it for a few months and I have no discomfort atm) poor hubby though sad 
    • Posted

Hi, I've had no discomfort at all from the biopsy (other than the pain when it was done) no stinging or bleeding. I haven't looked at the area but my hubby said it was a very small sample the Gyne took, he saw it in the specimen jar bi hope she look a big enough sample cause I really don't want yo do that again. 

Im really hoping this is a mild case and I respond to the Clob and not react to it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.