Newly diagnosed with migraines

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Im looking for some advice. Ive recently been diagnosed with migraines. Never had a problem with headaches but for just over a month now ive been getting horrific left sided headache and blindness in right eye approx once a week leaving me unable to do anything or speak properly and no painkillers work.

My gp has started me on pizotifen to take on a night and sumatriptan for when I feel an attack starting. This was 6 days ago and Ive already had to take sumatriptan 3 times. Is this normal? Ive been give 8 tablets to last a month. It just seems a bit excessive that ive had 3 potential migraines about to start in 6 days.

My gp said to have 1 pizotifen and if I need to I can step it up to 3 a night for prevention but I dont know how long I should leave it before I step it up.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte you need the meds take them. Has your GP referred you to Neurology?
    • Posted

No she hasnt, she just give me some meds and said she will see me in a month to see how im getting on 
    • Posted

Maybe give it another few weeks then go back. When I was on meds it was trial and error and finding out what worked for me so that I could have a 'sort of life'

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

Sometimes when you take prophylxis drugs they take a while to take effect, so you may just have to go with it for a few weeks and be patient.  This means you may have to use the pain killers more frequently in the early stages but hopefully once the pizotifen get into your system the headaches will subside.

Good luck x

• Posted

I break the triptans in half and they usually have the same effect. That way the prescription lasts longer.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, I have suffered with migraines for over 40 years, they used to be controllable but 15+ years ago they became more frequent and painful and no over the counter meds worked. After trying various different types of preventative meds which didn't make any difference I was prescribed Pizotifen 2 years ago. I take 3 a night and have found that although the frequency is the same , about 2/3 migraines a week I can get by with just taking 2 paracetamol extra where before I was having to take sumatriptan. You are not supposed take more than 12 sumatriptan a month so this is the safest option. If the paracetamol doesn't work then I still have to take it but I am definitely taking less than I used to. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi, go n see ur GP and get some pregabalin to take, they will prevent ur, u also need to get some 300mg dispersable aspirin, take two in a mouthful of water and ur migraine will disappear within the hour.
    • Posted

I'm glad that works for you Dawn. Not everyone is lucky enough to find a combination that does ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.