News about ovary removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anybody saw the news today regarding ovary removal? They're saying it can lead to cancer, heart Disease and an early death! I read about this AFTER I'd had hysterectomy with BSO and I was heartbroken. I had my op April 2015, now this has come on news today I'm so distraught again. I am taking HRT and I was 49 yrs old at the time of op, I know this report is based on women up to 45 but it still worries me. Anybody else had this done and feel the same way as me?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had the same as you in Nov 2015 I'm also on hrt patches thanks for the info I'm a bit worried but they keep coming out with different things you don't always know who to believe

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy with BSO 2 years ago, I had Uterine cancer and as the ovaries are the most likely place for that cancer to spread to I was glad when they went. I only half listen to anything in the news as the  next week they usual backtrack on everything, a few years ago peanuts caused cancer but now they are considered to be good for you, fats were bad for you for years and now it is sugar that is bad and fats are good. try not to upset yourself over something that can't now be reversed, try to think positively.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Statistics in USA show that one in three women have had hysterectomy by 60. That would be a lot if women to get cancer even if some of them were older at time of operation. I don't think this is the case. You need to remember why you needed operation in the first thing and think about the quality of life that it is giving you now. My mother had hysterectomy at 38 and ovaries removed at 55 as benign tumours had blocked her bowel. She was in her 80s when she died (not of cancer).  I am 64 and just had total abdominal hysterectomy as I also had benign tumour beginning to block bowel. I am 8 weeks post op and so much better than before. Energy levels are better and I am so much more comfortable without that football sized thing inside me. Live for the moment and don't worry about what may happen. Even if it does they can do lots to help and the papers report new breakthroughs every week. 😀

• Posted

I just wish i had been more forceful at the time of the operation being booked. I spoke to m Gyno and she was adamant on taking everything as ovaries fail and ovarian cancer etc. But i still wish i had declned to have them removed. I feel like i'm a ticking time bomb now. Since my op my problems have all gone but my health as not been the best. My weight has increased by half a stone, so now worrying about my weight too. I am already overweight as it is. I know i should think positive, but i am a born worrier and this has upset me so much. I feel like i made a terrible decision and its something i cannot turn the clock back. God i wish i could! 

Thanks for all your thoughts 

• Posted

I had a totally hysterectomy this past Oct. im glad I had it done because they way I look at it either way you may get cancer. we all have hysterectomy for different reasons I was having a lot of bleeding major pain and a tumor in my uterus . And since I have had it done I feel good really good .. So I guess if I look after myself and hope to god I don't get cancer which it has gotten a lot in my family.. I look at it live for today feel good be happy don't worry to whatay happen because it's not good to worry either. . Have a good day keep smiling. .?

• Posted

Hi, 

I'm in the US, so of course I didn't see the news story.  But, please try not to get upset about this.  

Most if not all of the news is so sensationalized, especially the medical news, and medical research.  Unfortunately, no one bothers to look into how well the experiment model was developed, or whether the statistics are valid. I think they do this because they WANT people to get all worked up!

I'm pretty sure that you had necessary surgery--it's not done lightly.  Know that you did what was right for you! xx 

• Posted

Hi Nanny,

I had an ovary removed at 28 - the other stopped working within 1 year. I am waiting for a full hysterectomy when they will remove the other ovary. It's been 20 years since my ovary worked - and I have been on HRT ever since. I am in the UK and have not heard this either - but you have to look at the bigger picture. You know your body - if something is not right see someone. Medical advances mean much quicker diagnosis and treatment. I was told that the ovary I had left could still get cysts if left when everything else goes - and I'd rather it went - pain from a cyst is horrific - I know from personal experience. If we all listened to the health worries they put out there we would not live! I hope you feel better - and please don't spend too much time worrying about what if! Take care!

• Posted

Thanks all for your replies, I must try to think positive I know but find it hard especially when I just wish I could turn the clock back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.