News re leg length

Posted , 10 users are following.

I know there has been much written on this forum about different leg lengths and I recently wrote about my concerns.  I emailed my consultant to ask about this as I'm not due to see him until August.  He wrote back that it often settles down as the pelvis alignment settles which is why they don't do anything until they can check it at 8 weeks. Well folks, I think mine is settling down and the huge 1 inch difference is barely noticeable now - yay!!! I hope everything settles again when I have the second hip done. 

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yay indeed! My difference is almost gone as well, OS told me with the next, it should be completely gone. Apparently, the old hip is not as it should be (duh, it jeeds replacing as well..) and the new hip is actually at the place where it should be. So basically, I shrank back half an inch while my hips were breaking up and they are restoring my 'true' height.

Here's to balance! ☕️

• Posted

Hey Laura .... thank you for your post .... really good to know - I am in the same situation as am6t8 as other hip needs THR as well - so still lob sided and pinguin walk - 

take care - happy that you are doing so well ...

warm hug

• Posted

Hi Laura, your comment has reassured me, so thank you.  I've had one leg shorter than the other by an inch for what seems like my whole life though I'm sure it's not that long.  As a result all my trousers have been professionally altered.  I don't bother to alter track bottoms and cut offs have been a godsend for me!  Hopefully after my op I will stand straighter, walk better, be able to stand for longer.  All of which I will need at the boot fair where I hope to sell all my old trousers!  Ha ha.  Good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

That's good news. I wish they would also tell you that the leg feels longer that it actually is for several weeks. On both my ops the leg felt longer. It was slightly longer on the first but I still had my shoe raisers removed and probably shouldn't have as the length wasn't equalised. I got some put in a year ago after 14 years when my other hip started to go. Now after the replacement hip on the that leg the leg felt longer but has settled down and with the shoe raisers still in I am walking without a limp for the first time in all those years.
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

Greeting, interesting posting....

All i'd add is that after first hip done ten years ago legs did settle down to same length very quickly, as you say. all helped by exercises and regaining good posture!

Though, a huge one inch gap appeared in last couple of years as other hip crumbed and got into a viscous circle of pain, lack of use to avoid, lack of mobility, collapsing structure.

Now, 20 weeks into 2nd hip, all is sunny, hopefully for rest of my life!

Mic

x

• Posted

Hi Laura

great to read your post and all the comments it has raised 

i too have have nearly inch difference.  Afraid I didn't believe surgeon when he said it would settle down, but reading all this it looks like that may be it will. I will have to be patient.

any particular exercise in particular you had to do?  

Glad to hear you're doing well

carol x

• Posted

Hi Carol, No special exercises, just the standard ones that are given in hospital along with plenty of walking.  I must say I was a bit paranoid about developing an eneven pelvis so I have regularly stretched myself upright when walking and practiced a good rolling gait without turning my foot or leg out to the side.  
  • Posted

Hi Laura, well that is great news!! it's always one of the main concerns for us hippies, will I wake up inches shorter and have to buy all new trousers and jeans lol, when is your next op? like you I am half done lol, but I didn't have any length discrepancy, but like you who knows what the next op. may bring, it's a bit of a lottery, but I guess it's better than all the pain.

hugs to you.

Lynne.

• Posted

Hi my left leg is 2cms shorter than my right one now, I dont notice it....rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi Everyone just caught up with this post after I had posted with this very question. So glad to hear that it usually settles down although at 5ft 1in I should be pleased to get a bit of extra height! Thanks for the reassurance confused
    • Posted

Gosh you're short 😁

I'll go away now hahhaha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.