NHS Labiaplasty

Posted , 4 users are following.

(May be triggering for some- assault)

About six months ago I was vaginally raped at knife point by an unknown man at a house party. After the rape, the man used the knife to cut my labia (both sides). Because of the uncontrollable bleeding I went straight to A&E and my labia was stitched up. (Police have been involved and the investigation is ongoing). 

As a result of this I only have a labia on the right side of my vagina, and the left side is rather badly scarred. 

I never cared for the appearance of my vagina before this happened, but now not only does the thought of sexual activity terrify me due to someone seeing my labia, I have this constant, hideous reminder of what happened. 

It's now getting to the point where I'm considering a labiaplasty. I don't have the money to pay for this privately and don't want to have to go to my GP regarding this just to be turned away. 

I'd just like to get opinions on whether any thinks it worth me seeing my GP about this? Or how likely I am to ever be referred to a surgeon on the NHS? I understand that plastic surgeries are hugely uncommon when performed on the NHS.

Thank you and huge apologies is this was triggering to anyone reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The chances of getting the NHS to pay is probably pretty low, but it is not zero. If you don't try you will never know. You will probably have to prove psychiatric affects from what happened or if it gets infected would possibly be another reason you could use. It may be worth seeing someone privately and getting a quote, it may be less than you think, although I do not have a clue what it would cost. Also ensure you get your first consultation for free. 
  • Posted

Another thought, does Victim Support help in such circumstances?
  • Posted

I think you should talk to your GP. This is a dreadful thing to have happened to you and may affect your mental health as well

There are extenuating circumstances for your Gp to take into account and I am sure you would be looked on with compassion and sympathy.

If it would help you to talk to a woman GP and you know there is one at your GP practice then ask to speak to her.

Have you been to your doctor since this happened? A letter should have gone back to him/her from A/E so its a good idea to talk this over at least so they know how you are in general.

Its definitely worth seeing your GP.  

A private op would be about £2,000 at least,although the first appt would be £100-£200 which you have to pay and then you have to make your mind up about the cost of the procedure.

• Posted

Hi Rita,

What a terribly traumatic experience you have had and I hope you are being supported well. I'm not sure if you are Intouch with victim support or other agencies so apologize if you are aware already but, you should be entitled to criminal injuries compensation. This could be perhaps used towards private surgery if you end up going down that route.

In regard the Nhs labiaplasty, do you have an understanding gp you can talk to to ask about a referral? It is understandable that you will have mixed emotions about your genitalia and future sexual experiences, it sounds like the labiaplasty would help towards feeling less distressed regarding this.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.