Night Sweats

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I hope someone can help.

I have had Graves Disease for many years, and had RAI about five years ago.     I am taking 50 mcg of Thyroxine daily, and generally feel fine, but do tend to suffer from anxiety.

I have my bloods checked annually, the results don't change much and are within the normal range.

The last few weeks I have been waking up two or three times a week soaking wet, usually my chest, forehead and neck.    I haven't changed medication.   I am 68 and didn't have night sweats when I was going through the menopause.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks.confused

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Given that you have felt this way only in the last few weeks, your levels might have drastically changed during this period.   if it were happening to me, I would get all my hormone levels checked including thyroid, adrenal and estrogen and progesterone.
  • Posted

Hello Marigold:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease but I know both sides of the disease well enough.

First of all, has the medication changed pharmaceutical makers?  Some types are different than others.  Some are made so different that the dosages are not the same.  So check that first.

Night sweats can come from a myriad of problems.

#1- Menopause type symptoms as hormone levels change.

#2 Infections in the body, TB or any upper respiratory ones.

#3-Build up of hormones in the blood -too much Thyroxine malabsorption within the body. As no thyroid is left it must absorb via liver and other organs, it can be off and then have too much in your system.

#4- Poorly made either too much Thyroxine per tablet or pharmacy error given wrong dose in bottles.  It can happen!

#5- Adrenal issues. Immune system problems.

So these are things that can happen.  See your doctor if it continues for a new TSH level and cortisol check. Try and do some detective work first and note the manufacture of the thyroid meds and see how much is in each tab. If you feel you are building up too much hormone simply cut the dose or take it every other day to see if that helps.

Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Marigold_64, have you noticed any feeliings of being shaky and disorientated a couple of hours after having something to eat?  I only ask because I have GD and recently became Reactive Hypoglyceamic.  One of the signs is that you go into a Hypo overnight which would give the symptoms you describe.  My endo has confirmed that it is quite common with GD ... might be an idea to have your blood sugar level tested with a blood glucose monitor.  You can buy them from Amazon for under £20 and they are well worth it.

• Posted

Hi Linda, Shelly & Claire,

Thank you for your replies and help.

The night sweats have stopped I'm glad to say.   I tend to suffer from anxiety, worrying about anything and everything and that has been worse recently, so they could have been related to that.

If they come back I'll get some blood tests organised.

Thanks again.

Marigold

• Posted

Hello Marigold:

Good to hear, come back anytime to say hi.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Marigold, you are most welcome.  I am glad things have settled down for you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.