Nipping/pinching in colon.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi has anyone else been having digestive issues in colon with glandular fever? I've been experiencing strange pinching/ nipping sensation under let ribs for weeks. Feels like something is going on in there but unlike usual spasms associated with IBS. Any ideas?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I think that is an area where a lot of glands area, around that chestal area under the ribs, so it is quite possibly just the glands reacting because whe I had glandular fever I used to get pains in that area. Sometimes it would feel like stitch and other times just a pain in the upper abdomen area or under the ribs.

Remember this virus is capable of running riots with all glands so try not to worry too much, the pains will go away I really believe that, but of course do get it checked out by the doctor if you are unsure as I'm not a medical person or anything.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig, that's reassuring. It really is a strange virus with varied symptoms which come and go almost weekly.  Oh well here we go into another week still hopeful for some progress.

• Posted

Yes, I have had various abdominal pains during my  10 month battle with this nasty virus.  Mononucleosis (GF) can mess with different parts of our bodies.  One thing you need to be careful with is an enlarged liver or spleen.    When I was first diagnosed, I did have elevated liver enzymes (measured in my blood). At that time I did have specific pain over my liver, on the right side under my rib cage.  Please mention the sensation you are having and  ask for your liver and spleen to be checked.  My doctor always felt my abdominal area  to see if my liver or spleen were enlarged. And also checked my lab values to make sure both were functioning correctly.   Hoping good health for you!

Geri

• Posted

Hi Geri, many thanks for your reply. IT always helps to talk to someone who has tread the path as it were. I have had liver and spleen checked and they are ok although liver enzymes are still raised they are slowly coming down. I guess it's just another mysterious symptom which will never be fully understood. Anyway how are you doing right now? I'm still and novice at 3 months in comparison to you I think.  IT feels like life is very much on hold at moment. Praying for better days for all of us. 

• Posted

Thinking of you both Christine and Gerbear, it's tough I know and still fully believe in a complete recovery for you both and most definitely that the coming year will be a much better one than the last year for you both.

Craig

• Posted

I pray with you for better days a head!  I have tried to keep a journal of how I am improving,  slowly but there is improvement.  At first I was too ill to do anything. My husband and sisters did everything--cleaning, cooking and laundry.  Now I am keeping up with the laundry and cooking dinner 4 times a week.  Looking back at the journal helps me.  I am still resting everyday--some better than others.  If I go out too much it sends me into a mono relapse and back to bed I have to go for a week.

the anxiety and depression are difficult for me now.  I feel very teary eyed everyday.  But I am getting stronger and I try to focus on the positive 

Hoping you are healing well.

• Posted

Hi Gerbear,

It sure has been a tough time for you, hang in there and I'm glad to hear there are signs of progress and recovery. This will continue in this manner from here on in, you have hit the low point in the graph and the curve is going upwards now - you will get stronger and better I really believe. Hang in there and thinking of you.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hi Geri,

Good idea to keep a journal to monitor your progress. It's encouraging to look back and see how far you have come. Just wondering if you are taking anything to help with anxiety and depression? If not it might be worth considering. I am feeling a little better this week. Trying to walk a little each day as my stamina levels have all but disappeared and will take some time to build up again. I find it difficult to know when to push a little bit further or give in and rest especially since my setback. I think I'm afraid of going backwards again so err on side of caution. Blessings and good wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Just a wee message for you, to say I'm thinking about you and to let you know I still believe in a great recovery for you, even if it doesn't feel that way today. Your stamina and body resilience will return again, and you will get back on track - hang in there God will heal.

Take care and speak soon

Craig

• Posted

Hi Christine / Geri,

I just wondered how you were both doing? Wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and still fully believing in a full and complete recovery for you both today - this will come in time, try not to worry (I know that's much easier said than done mind).

Take care and speak soon

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

i needed to hear that today, thanks. Have been feeling a little better energy wise this past week but yesterday just meeting up with two friends, one in morning and one in afternoon proved too much and exhausted me leaving me feeling quite anxious again. And so it goes on. Disappointed. 

• Posted

Yes,  I also feel discouraged when I can not do things.  Last Saturday was sunny and I wanted to go outside and enjoy the day. Instead I could not get off the couch.  But today I was able to dust the living room and do the dishes.  So strange that my strength varies from day to day. I am still having a huge amount of anxiety. So I have been doing more deep breathing and relaxation. 
    • Posted

Hi Christine / Geri,

It's so frustrating to go through what you are going through, it's hard I know because when you feel not too bad one day you think that's you made real progress and then another day you can feel right back to square one almost.

But let me reassure you that when you feel that kind of relapse, you're not back to square one at all. It feels like that in the moment, but your body is still at a more advanced stage of battling this and this phase of ups and downs with energy levels is part of the healing process, it is progress and it's just so frustrating it doesn't come as quickly always as we'd like, but definitely it's encouraging that at times you are feeling more able to do things - and gradually over time this will become more and more and the times that you feel unable to do things and wiped out will become less and less. Same happening for me and eventually you just kind of merge back into a normal way of life again.

You think at that time your body is so fragile and it will never be strong or resilient again, but it most definitely will be for both of you, as time passes the strength comes back and you find you can do things and not feel so rotten the next day or later that week or whatever. Hold onto that hope, there is plenty of hope still and I am convinced today more than ever that you both will make a full and marvellous recovery, and it will be a great day when you feel like yourself again and you will be wiser and even more grateful for it than before - something that will happen and definitely to look forward to and keep your mind focussed on in the difficult times! Hang in there, try to be patient (extremely hard I know!!!) and you will emerge the other side of it for sure given some time and being sensible in how you manage your body.

Thinking of you both!

Craig

• Posted

Did you have an rash, joint pain or abdominal pain
    • Posted

Hi Rocky,

I suffered a phase with joint pain and some light bruising a number of months into the virus, just want to reassure anyone going through similar that it is a phase that can come and will pass over and is part of the recovery process.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Rocky,

i didn't have a rash, but certainly had joint and abdominal pain. My biggest symptom was and continues to be nausea, accompanied of course by fatigue. I'm going to try my first day back at work today in over 5 months so am feeling quite nervous. I'm not completely recovered, maybe sitting at 75% but need to make a start back into real world! Just doing 1 day for now to see how it goes. Hoping and trusting for your speedy recovery. Blessings

Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine, 

Nausea and fatigue is common in EBV infection. It will gradually get better. 

Its good that you did not get rash which is usually more painful than anything else. And since you don't have any joint and abdominal pain anymore, it seems your already getting better. 

Cheers. 

Rocky

• Posted

Good luck with going back to work Christine, thinking about you and remember just to phase things in slowly, it can take time but you will get there I do believe this! Definitely sensible to take it one day at a time and see how you feel and listen to your body when it needs rest too.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.