Nissen fundoplication operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have finally been given a date for my surgery... It's next week! Any tips on before and after care please, and feedback from anyone who is post op!

Many thanks

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Every person is going to have different reactions, due to our unique DNA's. The main advise I can give you is to ask your surgery to tell you everything he or she is going to do. For example:

1. Are they going to just repair the hiatal hernia? How will they wrap it ? There is a test you need to take to determine the size of wrap.( which is extremely important.)

2. Are they repairing the Nissen valve? I just had this done and "a mesh" was sewn to it to strengthen the valve.

3. You might have scar tissue from prior surgery(s). Ask about that.

4. If you have a great professional Doctor , he or she will tell you this upfront.

5. If you have no complications, surgery should last about 1 hour.

6. They will give you instructions when you leave hospital. NO PICKING UP OVER 20 lbs and NO BENDING OVER until they say otherwise.

7. Remember you cannot judge your surgery from someone else's's experience.

8. I had the best of the best Doctor and nurses, and had complications due to low sodium and High Blood Pressure, due to surgery in itself, and my age was a factor, but at end of day, all surgery was successful. Follow the rules and pray for God to guide the surgeons and nurses hands. All should go very well for you.

• Posted

hi clarice,

Thank you for your response. To be honest I haven't been told too much about it, I was referred for sirgery almost two years ago so I have waited a long time so when they called me today I just accepted the day, I was told by the secretary just to make sure I have my bloods done ready for surgery on Wednesday next week. I have GERD and hiatus hernia also dysphagia. So I presume I will behaving the full nissen fundoplication laparoscopically. I'm hoping I would get the chance to speak to the surgery prior to my op on the Wednesday morning as I do have questions.

I understand everyone is different but it's good to get feedback and input I'm just hoping it will run smoothly and the recovery time is quick. I am looking forward to losing a few pounds though I must admit lol.

Thanks again

Nezra

• Posted

I also had GERD. On my third week of recovery. Because of my age, recovery time is longer. But I believe you will have a successful recovery time, if you follow instructions. You come across to me as a highly intelligent individual, so I am sure you know all the right things to do.

My friend had the same surgery, she recovered in 2 days, but this is not the case for me. Good luck and try not to stress about it, all will go well.

• Posted

Everyone seem to have different post op side effects.  In the first week post op it was my throat that was terribly sore.  I figure this was due to the breathing tube.  After that it was just nausea and diarrhea which I am still suffering from 5 months later.  Called my Surgeon today and was told it can take up to a year for the body to get back to normal.  I'm taking pills for both problems and hope they clear up soon.  Good luck with your surgery I hope you don't have any post op effects.

val

• Posted

Get your liquid diet bought before you go in. Make some puddings, they work well for taking crushed mess as you are not to swallow anything while. Very important to stay on diet, eat small amounts.

Make sure you go home with nausea medication and take it whether you feel nausea for the first 2 weeks and keep some on hand for when you feel the slightest of nausea, take it then. I ate much of the organic soups made by Pacifica, I liked the tomato and potato. Get your favorite juices, if possible get all organic foods. After 2 weeks my doctor added some soft foods like mash potatoes and gravy and scrambled egg and a few other thing, one reason for diet is things can get stuck if not soft and liquid, which would mean another surgery. Best to you, Jo

• Posted

Thank you Jo I didn't think to do any of that, I haven't been told anything as I was only informed of the date on Monday, my op is in 5 days. I am already on sickness tablets so I have plenty at home so will be sure to take them if needed. Did you experience any of the bloating and gas iv heard about following the operation? How long was it before you could resume a normal diet and feel back to normal?

Nezra

• Posted

Hello,

I just had surgery 3 weeks ago. First of all, it is very normal to have gas, in fact, the Doctors want you to have had, because that means your stomach is working properly . Don't be embarrassed. The more you walk, the more the gas moves around and can come out. Because if the gas stays inside you, it can make your body hurt very bad. So just go with it. I am still having some after 3 weeks. Never had any nausea, (Thank God), so I can't comment on that. Doctors told me walking is the best healer. Don't lift anything over 20lbs and don't bend over after surgery for 6-8 weeks. Good luck and May God Bless you

• Posted

I'm hoping to return to work within two weeks so I was a little worried as it will be very embarrassing...no lifting involved at work so I won't be doing anything strenuous

• Posted

Yes Nezra

I am having lots of gas and can't go on normal diet until 6 weeks after surgery was done and that will be 2 more weeks but don't know if I will be ready for it then. I can have soft foods now, also hamburger but often feel sick after eating the soft foods, could be I may be eating too much of it. I think all of us will react a little different. Best to you,

Jo

• Edited

Hi,

I had the same operation a year ago and it the results have been fantastic, no reflux and no acid heartburn, and although it is scary just remember the reason why you are having the operation.

My surgeon was informative ( I went private) and had all the information beforehand. I had a partial wrap which gives the same results but hopefully less side effects; gas etc.

Post operatively, I couldn't eat for the first week and had sufficient pain relief but still needed time in bed, it felt as though I had someone standing on my chest! I would carefully sip apple juice and it was painful swallowing. I later moved onto homemade soups and yoghurt but could only manage very small amounts. I didn't really have an appetite but don't rush moving onto solid foods and stay away from meat and bread! It gets stuck and is quite disconcerting. Advice: take your time getting back to eating 'normal' foods and have a supply of soups, juice and yoghurts in. Best of luck

• Edited

Thank you so very much Josie low for the info. Very good.

Please tell me if you had pain around the diaphragm and pan in the upper back between the shoulder blades and how soon after surgery did you feel mostly normal? ,also did you have any breathing problems?

Thanks, Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo

I did experience pain in my diaphragm and shoulder blades especially on my right-hand side and I think was due to the gas used during the operation ( to inflate your stomach). I did have slight breathing problems as it was painful to take deep breaths but don't forget that even though the operation was performed laproscopically and therefore with small cuts, you have had your stomach rearranged and stitched. I was very bloated for three weeks but this soon settled down. I was off work about 6 weeks as I didn't return to normal comfortable eating until around 7 weeks. I still now have small meals and tend to avoid a lot of meat. Though considering my condition before; hiatus hernia and reflux with daily heartburn, I am very happy with the results.

• Posted

Thanks josie

To be honest reading a lot of these forums are putting me off slightly, I'm wandering whether it will all be worth it if I'm going to have further issues following the op, as much as the daily nausea, the coughing, the food coming back up and the copious amounts of tablets I'm taking daily, I am kind of resigned to it now as iv had these symptoms for many years now. Iv stopped smoking recently as I wanted to be in the best health for the operation, but it seems to of exasperated my symptoms, and they told me smoking would improve my symptoms, anyway I know everyone is different but the negative posts are making me think too much into it so I'm thankful for the positive ones..

• Posted

Hi Negra

As I have said before it is so very important to know your surgeon has done many of the operations and has a good follow up team or get another doctor. I did not have to ask my surgeon how many he had done, he told me 400 but was on my list to ask him.

My worst problem is gas and that is normal after the surgery. I no longer have to take the med for acid reflux and am still healing, had too have diaphragm repair and I think that was because the hh was so large 8 cm.

I was told by a doctor that the medicines can cause infection and I was concerned about that. I am 82 with copd and doing fine. Going for a walk. Ask your doctor questions and get a list of foods and over counter med's you will need. Best to you, Jo

• Posted

Wow 82?! Well done you! My surgeon has been changed because I waited so long(almost 2 years) the surgeon I did have was one of the best hence the waiting list but because I have had waited so long and the original was not available I have been given another who is based at another nearby hospital so I know nothing about him have tried to research online but there is very little info. This does bother me. I have seen pictures and he is very young which makes me a little apprehensive though I shouldn't judge on that. I think I'm going to call the secretary tomorrow and ask a few questions, I'm wondering if they will freely give out this information. Thanks again for your reply. It really does help to hear others feedback
    • Posted

Negra

I pray you get the info on your surgeon before going ahead. So importand, I feel some of the surgeries we are hearing about may have been done by doctors that had not done many of these surgeries. You should be able to get info on line. My doctor'sname is Ralph Aye and he works out of Swedish hospital in Seattle. Experience comes with age.

I pray you get the very best

Best to you

Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.