Nissen Fundoplication ...Post Op report

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was first on the list on Friday, so in theatre at 8.15. There was some unexpected bleeding in the blood vessels under my Spleen, so surgery was stopped for a while until the bleeding was stopped. I was, apparantely out of my room for over 4 hours. I dont remember much about Friday.

Allowed home Saturday afternoon, although it was a tough journey home, your own bed is the best place to be.

Continual bad 'gas' pain in both shoulders and quite a lot of nausea.

Sleepy for Britain. Managed a few sips of Tea and a mouthful of yoghurt. Sat up on the Sofa to watch 'Victoria' but it made me dizzy and nauseous.

Day 3 today...  feeling so much better. Pain in Shoulders managable with Tramadol and Paracetamol.  Nausea lessened too and Ive had a tiny amount of Ice Cream and Jelly . I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow for a barium swallow to make sure everything is travelling the right way.

This is the first day that I have opened my laptop, and now Im exhausted. 

Will post again soon

H

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Nice to have read your post. Hope to see your new story with success.
  • Posted

Hi Hillary

Chin up girl. Stay positive and strong in your head and try and get good nutrients into u!

Are you allowed smoothies? Do you have Nutri bullet?

• Posted

Try hot pack and peppermint tea for gas pain. Thinking of you. Mine was 15 April and I'm still in recovery but don't regret having it done at all. It's a long recovery. Rest rest rest.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

I'm at the stage after 3 yrs of suffering of either having linx or fundo. Can I ask how long is it until you can exercise after op? As that is gonna be a significant factor for me. I need to exercise to keep my low back happy and my mind sane!

Hope you are recovering well. Do u get any reflux now? Can you eat everything?

Thank you

Dominique

• Posted

Hi dominique. You need to check with your surgeon for timescale for exercise. No reflux at all now. No can't eat white bread ever again. Wishing you well x

• Posted

Update. Now day 9 Post Op. All good so far. Returned to Hospital on Friday for Barium Swallow ( not actually Barium but similar). A slightly different piece of equipment so I just had to sit, rather than stand whilst drinking a small amout of special liquid. I could see the liquid flowing down my Eosphagus and into my stomach, passed the narrowing and the wrap. Amazing. All well. Im still having periods of exhaustion, not surprisingly. Im still very Pale, may be a little anemic as I had some unexpected bleeding in Surgery.

Had my first BM today with some help from Senokot....

Food wise, Im pretty much on soggy weetabix, yoghurt, stewed apple, custard. Anything sloppy. Have discovered that I can eat the odd chocolate button!! Hooray!! Had mash and gravy which I ate very slowly, but it made me feel v sick so too early for real food maybe. Only taking anti-emetic when I need it. Pain relief is back to my normal amount ( Tramadol and Amyltriptaline for Fibromyalgia). However, I am still having some pain in my right shoulder so  back up the Tramadol with Paracetamol and a hot water bottle.

I feel so much better and I have the advantage of not trying to get well to return to work so can take it as easy as  I like. My only goal is to be able to eat Christmas Lunch with my family.

Incisions are slightly sore but only when they rub on clothing. No dressings now and they look clean and closed.

Ventured out last Thursday for a very short walk of about 100 yds ending in a visit to our local pub, which is across the road from our house. I had a cup of tea and chatted with friends, then home. Staggering... the first time in years that I havent disolved in a heap of relux and regretting going out.....

Baby steps for a few weeks still but its all looking good smile

• Posted

Good to hear that you are moving along positively. Keep us posted. Wishing you well!
  • Posted

P.S. You might like to try some Quinoa porridge. Supposed super food. I just had some for brekky - goes down like baby porridge!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.