Nissen wrap reversal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm going to see my surgeon Tuesday to discuss a reversal of my nissen wrap. It has been 7 weeks since surgery and I'm still unable to eat solids and am very weak. I have constant neasua and pain and I still have heartburn. I'm just curious if anyone out there has had a reversal done and what the outcome is. My doc says my heartburn will come back (but it never went away) but I'm curious if I will go back to feeling normal again and after how long. Please help

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're still having problems post-op. By now, most patients would be expected to be eating almost normally. I wonder what damage the surgeon may have done.

Are you able to identify the origin of the pain and nausea? They could be from gastritis if you are producing too much acid or your stomach isn't emptying properly.

If you are unable to eat solid foods, it could be the wrap is too tight which is usually resolved by dilation (administered endoscopically). But if it is too tight, you should not be experiencing heartburn.

I hope your doctors can discover and treat whatever is causing the problem.

• Posted

I've had an endoscopy, a gastric emptying study, and an esophageal motility test done. Along with x-rays and cat scans they can't find anything other then a slight esophageal spasm they think started with the surgery. I've lost over 30lbs and I'm miserable.
  • Posted

Amber   I am 3 months post op Monday......I just started eating some what normal., but carefully.  Everyone heals differently, pls dont let anyone tell you that you "should" be eating at 7 weeks normal.....maybe for them but not you nor I.  First week was clear liquids, and then it was hard to swallow water at times for some reason.  Then things progress SLOWLY, then my husband started to make nutritious smoothies, such as cooked grownd chicken, boiled potato, carrots, then put them in a ninja and i drank my meals......for weeks.  You need protein, carb, and vegs. in those drinks to keep the weight up.....then approx 9 wks i went to soft mashed more solid foods carefully......it is a slow process for alot of us, so dont get discouraged.  Heartburn i did not get put plenty of pains in chest depending on what i ate and eat SLOW, SMALL BITES, and eat often not alot of food at once....Every couple of hrs i would eat....makes these nutritious shakes ahead of time and keep in frig., and take when the hunger strikes.  When I started the mashed foods, I did have alot of chest pains off and on....I took extra strength gas x and it all subsided.  Even last night i woke up out of a sound sleep with the chest starting...i got up got a drink of water went back and it went away...Now i am esperimenting with different foods during the day ...dont forget your stomach is adjusting to the foods...as far as reversing I cant advise and would not that is your decision and your doctors....but dont assume he did something wrong......hopefully you are following what i reccomended for the diet dont rush meats that need to be chewed it is too soon...I went thru alot of what you say in the beginning and wanted to give up....but Jo on the forum was 2 wks ahead of me with the HH and Nissen and she guided me as well......and now I am doing well much better when i look back at it all...Good Luck and think about what u are eating and how u are eating the food....it wont happen over night it is a long haul.....what will happen when its reversed back to being sick again obviously that is why u had the surgery....weigh the consequences of all this and if not sure go to another doctor seek more opinions before making a decision like that....i went with mayo clinics diet basically online....if it helps you.....God Bless hope things get better for you..Liz
    • Posted

Amber forgot to tell you my doctor did wrap mine tighter he said ....Liz
    • Posted

My choice to have the reversal is due to how it's negatively affected my body. I'm 7 weeks post op and still on liquid diet. I was told I would be on liquids for a few days. Even when I eat shakes it causes unbearable gas and bloating and nausea and diarrhea. I've had to undergo 4 different but all extremely uncomfortable tests to rule out any other issues. I was never even told anything about Recovery. I was misled and if I had known anything about the recovery or possible problems I wouldn't have had the surgery. My heartburn was not bad enough to have to suffer like this especially when I still have the heartburn.
  • Posted

sorry about the type errors here and there, typing too fast   Liz
  • Posted

Amber, I'm so sorry to hear about all your suffering. I understand what it's like to suffer...

I was wondering what led you to get the sugary, what your symptoms were? I'm due to have a moderate hiatel hernia repaired where 1/3 of my stomach is and then Nissen Wrap. I had sudden symptoms come upon me two years ago and my health has greatly declined. Burning/reflux (uncontrolled by any medicationburn or natural products). Terrable right side pain that is still unexplained and I've had tons of scans/tests. Back pain and tachycardia. The HH was only found because my husband pushed and pushed for laporscopic exploratory surgery. Which they found and removed a bit of scare tissue.

I'm very nervous about surgery as I'm already in a weakened state. But, I have Zero quality of life...

Please, I would very much appreciate any advice. Thank you

• Posted

I had really bad heartburn that was not controlled by meds. No hernia, no damage done by the acid and they decided to do the surgery. I dream of the day I just have heartburn again. 😣
    • Posted

Also review every option you have before doing this surgery it may work for some but even success stories have had their life turned upside down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.