No clue it was getting this bad

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 6-8 weeks ago I had a wisdom tooth on right side of mouth in back, break almost in half leaving a big hole to nerves.Then about a week later a top tooth(same side) about 4 from the back, broke a quarter of the way on the inside, leaving a hole to the nerve as well.Now for 4-5 days straight I've had severe pain going through my mouth,head and lump in throat and tongue feels like. . and I left work because of the pain.I started getting the shakes and had a hard time calming down.The ER gave me a antibiotic(cleocin) through an IV and 40 (3 times a day) to take until I see a dentist on Mon (a week away) Now it's Sun, one day away and for at least 2 days the pain in my teeth have moved into jaw, throat and in head above ear and throbbing in temple area.Face is not too swollen, but showing a tiny bit of puffyness.Only been on the antibiotics 5 days, is this enough? And is this sounding serious? I woke up this morning and my tongue is sore, please,..any help would be greatly appreciated, and would love to know what the dentist is going to do to me being this is my first visit since childhood and I'm a 35 yr old male.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The dentist will probably take out the wisdom tooth. I would say you have had enough antibiotics, but would call the dentist to make sure.by describing the pain you are in to the receptionist.  I haven''t heard of that antibiotic for teeth (UK) but am presuming it is a specific one for dental treatment. You could also take Ibuprofen over the counter med for the pain. This is an anti-inflammatory pill, but don't exceed the recommended dose as this could be dangerous. As you say ER and not A & E, I am presuming you don't live in the UK. Hope you get yourself sorted, either from advice from the dentist or another trip to ER.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

i am not familiar with cleocin however have been through this quite a bit and yes, antibiotics for 5 days is enough for the dentist to start working on the infected teeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.