No Itching Ever, Just sore, red

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am new here. Ive been having problems "down there" for more then a year. It started slowly. I noticed sex was starting to be uncomfortable. Then one day I broke out in sores, tears, bleeding. I never had any itching. The first thing the gyno said after he looked is you have Herpes. I was devastated and dumbfounded because i have been with my partner for over 20 yrs and I know we have been loyal to each other. But what do I know, I listen to the Dr. He tested for Herpes and everything else, all negative. I told him all my problems seemed to begin after stopping HRT. But he insisted it looked just like Herpes, open lesions. All test were negative, twice! Finally a biopsy, but he probably didnt do properly, was negative for anything. He finally admitted it must be Hormonal and told me to try Estrace Cream. That helped just a little bit, What a pain to use though. It wasnt helping enough.

Thats when I went to try Mona Lisa Touch with a new gyno group. I did 2 of those treatments but i still was having pain. They sometimes it takes 2 treatments to notice, but I went in for 3rd treatment feeling dissapointed and I was having bad flare again. This time my Dr noticed how red and sore I was in the area. She said we are not going to do this Mona Lisa today, lets do a biopsy. Thats when Lichens was diagnosed.

Finally I have a name to what is going on? But what do I do? She gave me what most people seem to be using Clobetasol cream.

It helps but just cant get it good enough. Sex is still painful. My skin is so reactive that the act of touching it to put the medicine on irritates it. It stings some when I put it on.

I have never itched, only pain raw,and lesions. My Dr also prescribed Osphena instead of using Estrace and this has helped with dryness. i havnt had any cracking or bleeding sores anymore but skin is still so red raw and irritated. I try sex with lots of lubricant/vaseline but its still painful and then it is so irritated again that Im starting all over again. 

Ive noticed it may be linked to Auto Immune but i dont have any of those disorders that I know of but it is in my familt(Auto Immune). My mother has Parkinsons. I do have a lot of stress, so I can believe that is a trigger also. Trying to get answers. Glad to find this place. It does seem even Gynos dont know what to do

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are on apart of this group but glad you found us.  I am still only 8 months in on my diagnosis and treatment so I am also still learning but would be completely lost and confused without this wonderful site. 

First, I would not use vaseline with sex.  I have been using coconut oil and it has been working great for us.  Also, I would hold off on sex until you feel like the sores and lesions get under control.  Sex is only going to keep causing more irritation.  You need to allow the sores to heal before you cause any more friction in the area.  On that note, I avoid wearing underwear and tight pants the most I can.  Especially sleeping at night...I avoid wearing any then. 

I personally have cut sugar completely and am still struggling with being 100% gluten free but I try my hardest and do pretty good at not eating any processed foods.  There are mixed feelings on the diet issue but cutting sugar has helped me tremendously. 

Sitting in a warm bath with baking soda has also helped me so much!!!  I do not do it every day but try to do it at least once a week.  I also rinse myself with a bottle filled with warm water and baking soda after using the bathroom.  Sitting in the tub at night seems to really help me especially after a long day on my feet or a long run. 

I am down to Clob twice a week now.  In between I use coconut oil.  I also use Aquaphor as a protective layer when I run, bike or swim.  I have avoided the pool the most I could this year.  I have three little kids so sometimes I don't really have an option as I don't want my life to burden theirs. 

I wish you the best of luck.  I am no expert and a lot of women on here are more educated then me.  Also, not everything works for everyone so you need to try different things.  Don't try them all at once though as you don't want to cause anymore irritation.  When I was first diagnosed I was trying as many things that I could in one day and finally said this is crazy.  I tried one thing at a time and tried it for a long stretch before I added or quit doing it. 

You will find wonderful advise on this page! 

• Posted

Thank You, Im not able to take baths. We bought a house but the bath tub in the one bathroom is not very good. It needs to be remodeled. Its on the list of many things and I just have a shower in my other bathroom. I Love baths also, so I really miss that. We have a pool at our home but havnt used it much. I wondered if it would effect it. I live in Florida. It is very hot and humid. I find that my skin has always been very sensitive, so this thing is doubly hard to get under control. I have gotten sweat rashes and irritation from sweat, in other areas on my body. How to stay dry is hard. Everything irritates. I only wash with water, dont use soap down there and use chemical free laundry detergent. 

I hear many mentioning sugar and gluten. So I guess that may be next step. I read somewhere that fake sugars such as splenda may be linked or even worse then sugar? I have used it for years in my coffee.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

If you don't have a bathtub, then go out and get some kind of small tub or Sitz bath you can sit in.  Fill it with warm water and some baking soda and sit in it for about 20 minutes.  I put about 1/3 cup of baking soda in a regular sized bathtub, so you can adjust the amount for the size you will use.  I soaked in my tub with baking soda every night for about 2 months, and now every other night. 

Can you read previous posts on this site? Applying a sodium borate (borax) solution as Alistar has shared, really helps too.  As does applying oils (emu, coconut, etc) throughout the day. There are many great suggestions on this site, so take a look around and find what works for you.  Hang in there, it will get better!

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advise. yes I am going to read through many posts. There are a few things to try for sure. Thats encouraging
    • Posted

Nothing much to add to all the advise already given.  Lately I have been a bit sloppy with my treatment while camping and got 'punished' So now it's back to my diligent routine. 

?That's the sometimes tiring part of having LS - you can never let your guard down.  I have to stick to my diet, my baking soda baths and rinses, the dilation, the hormone replacement.  It's not a cure, but makes living with LS doable. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.