No laxatives

Posted , 4 users are following.

Expected to be getting a sachet of laxatives but got told I have an enema when I'm here and then empty my bowels. Can someone explain why and is it painful please

I'm really not looking forward to this and part of me wants to cancel for another time

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, for a sigmoidoscopy I got sent an enema, which I had to do at home a few hours before leaving for the hospital.  It's not as scary as it looks, no laxatives were required.

The sigmoidoscopy itself was very painful at times, but everyone seems to be different.  I'd do it again if I had to and wouldn't be too concerned.

In fact I do have to it again, but next time it's the full colonoscopy (due to them finding some polyps).  That's in a week's time...not looking forward to that, but these things have to be done!  For this I've been sent the laxatives and a seatbelt for the toilet.  (Just kidding about the seatbelt ;-)

Good luck and don't worry too much!

• Posted

Thanks

they're not sending anything out they said they do an enema when I'm there?

• Posted

Actually, that sounds ok.  In fact, I didn't tell you before but I was waiting in the waiting room for so long that they decided I should have another enema in the hospital too...just in case.  So I did 2 in total.  In the hospital I got put in a private (i.e. secluded) room with it's own toilet and left on my own for 30 mins to do the deed.  The nurse said she's administer it if I'd rather, but I told her I'd be fine.

However, it might be worth calling them to see if they had meant to send out.

• Posted

sorry, ignore my last sentence, they obviously just mean to do it there and then.
    • Posted

Is an enema just them pumping your bowel full of fluid

I am being sedated as when they tried to do it without it was too uncomfortable and was shouting out. Will sedation stop the pain or just make me not care. I'm guessing they inject you with a sedative?

• Posted

Well, I wasn't at all sedated for the enema, which wasn't painful for me.  I was offered gas and air, or a feed into my wrist for the sigmoidoscopy.  I went for gas and air and...it definitely hurt at times, but I coped.  (It's not the same for everyone though).
  • Posted

Just to be clear, for anyone else picking up this thread.

An enema (well, the one I had) is a squeezable bottle of fluid which you insert you know where and squeeze out the contents.  After about 8 minutes, you'll feel like you need the toilet.  Just let nature do it's thing and all be fine!  For me, this wasn't painful at all, it was "unusual" though.

The sigmoidoscopy seems to vary in pain for different people.  For me, when air was pumped in to get past a "bend", well, that really hurt...but it didn't last long.

Gas and air worked a bit for me, but then taking too much made me dizzy, so I had to slow down.  Not sure if it reduced the pain or not, it did make me feel weird...but the distraction of having something else to focus on probably helped me the most!  I watched the video screen for the most part, even the burning off the polyps made  for good TV.

I don't want to make light of it too much though, I know for some this is a very worrying time, not just the the enema and sigmoidoscopy but the reasons behind having them done in the first place.  Just try  ot to worry too much about this proceedure, I know it's different for eveyone, but hopefully it's a step towards getting things sorted and, well, it's just got to be done.  

• Posted

Do you do the enema yourself. .It's just weird and uncomfortable putting things up their by yourself
  • Posted

Hi, I had an enema at the hospital before the sigmoidoscopy. I didn't have to do anything at home beforehand. The enema itself wasn't painful just weird from the pressure if liquid. After about 3-4minutes you get the discomfort you sometimes get with needing a bowel movement, but it's copeable with. I had no pain relief for the sigmoidoscopy and for me it was painful. The pain was similar to the contractions when giving birth. The nurse said it would be

slightly uncomfortable!! I found that an understatement. Now I know what it's like, if I needed another one done I would still go along. I wouldn't relish it but would cope better. At least you get to find out what's wrong and can make decisions about the next steps if need be. 

• Posted

Hello again, try not to worry too much. The sigmoidoscopy procedure itself is fairly short. I hung onto the nurses hand for dear life!! Think I only broke one of her fingers !! Good luck.
  • Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy last year. No prep needed to be done at home and enema was done after I arrived at hospital. Nurse did it which to be honest was fine by me as at least I knew it was done properly and I didn't have to spend the previous 24 hours at home close to the loo! I think there's no need to be embarrassed as they must do them so often they think nothing of it.

I had no pain relief for the sigmoidoscopy - asked consultant whether I should but he said I'd be alright and that the camera time would be less than10 minutes. Have to say that there were a few moments of extreme discomfort towards the end but I managed and would have another one if I had to. There again I didn't have any symptoms that may make the procedure more painful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.